Student workers provide thoughts on managing school with jobs

Aeowynn Ayres, Entertainment Editor

As if maintaining good grades all year isn’t enough pressure, many JC students are trying to juggle school while working.

Working four hour shifts during the week while also attempting to do two or more hours of homework is “exhausting, and nearly impossible to manage,” said Junior Jenna Kohler.
Jenna described what a usual day looks like while working. “When I come home on school days, I usually dread having to change into my uniform and walk into work an hour later. Right now I work about 20 hours a week, heavy on the weekends, too. I try to find ways to manage by using the time in-between to focus on myself and do things I enjoy.”
Many students feel the same way about being able to keep up a social life while also working and going to school.
Junior Hanna Do experienced something similar with her job. “As a student with a full time job, maintaining my grades was definitely a challenge at first, but over time, I came up with different techniques to soften the blow.”
She said, “Working has forced me to use my time wisely. I can no longer procrastinate like I used to. Every moment I have free time, I am clearing as much work off my plate as I can. The biggest thing is to just stay organized”
School Counselor Molly Roseland advises students to set boundaries when it comes to working. “I would recommend that working students control the hours they work each week, and depending on the time their employer closes, avoid working closing shifts. I have worked with students who have proven it is possible to balance all these commitments.”
Mrs. Roseland added, “Set firm boundaries. For example, you can say, ‘no’ if a coworker or boss asks you to come in early, stay late, or cover their shift. Limit hours of availability during the school week. You can avoid working every day and late evening hours.”