Should JC bring back finals & midterms?

COMMENTARY

Lucas Lakatta, Staff Writer

John Carroll should go back to having midterms and final exams. Currently, the only class to experience this kind of exam is the seniors, and their final exam was eliminated due to COVID.

Midterm and final exams help prepare students for college by teaching students how to study for large exams and how to retain knowledge throughout the year. This will encourage students to pay attention more in class, knowing they will be tested on it later in the year.

Students won’t feel like they can just throw away the information after their initial assessment.

High school students tend to forget what they learned after they have finished a unit and taken a quiz on it, but giving exams will force students to work harder to retain facts so they will do better cumulatively at the end of the semester.

JC’s bringing back exams would mean that students may study more, incidentally teaching them how to study effectively and carry what they have learned all through the year.

Students have to complete summer projects in various courses, so their minds are active, and they don’t forget what they have learned. Midterms and finals would serve the same purpose.

JC prides itself in being a college preparatory school, and a great way to help prepare students for college is to give them the exam experience.

Not giving students these exams seems to go against the college preparatory element, which might not be appealing to the parents of incoming students.

Students may argue that the exams give more stress and take more time to study for. They could also say how it will put more pressure on them since the tests are worth more, and how studying for the exams will take time away from their high school experience.

Although the exams will require more time and effort, they are more beneficial in the long run because they help students learn time management and new ways to study — all which will be helpful when they are on their own in college.

In the long run, students would still be able to have their usual fun in high school while learning great time management skills, which will be applicable in future endeavors.

Instead of being caught off-guard in college, students should get used to taking major end-of-semester exams now.