The hard part of playing the college waiting game

KERRent THOUGHTS

Meghan Kerr, Perspectives Editor

For seniors, the past few months have been extremely stressful. The CommonApp essay, letters of recommendation, and transcripts seem to now haunt our dreams.

The college search is a difficult feat that many students have to go through, but perhaps even more stress-inducing is what comes after we press the “apply” button.

After months of hard work ensuring that our essays have no grammatical issues, read as beautifully as a Shakespearean sonnet, and reflect the years of education and extracurriculars prior that led us to this moment, we have no other option than to wait.

I submitted my first college applications on November 1. Months later, I still have yet to hear from some of the more selective colleges that I have applied to. It can be extremely anxiety-inducing to hear that other individuals have heard back from top colleges when thus far I have only heard back from my safety schools.

It is difficult to stray away from comparison during this time as well. As my fellow classmates begin to hear back from and get accepted into selective schools, I wonder, “Am I good enough to be accepted into my top schools?”

My mom has always said that comparison is the thief of joy. During this time in seniors’ lives, this statement is particularly accurate. Despite being accepted into all of my safety schools, I tend to wonder if I will be as successful as my classmates going to prestigious universities.

While it is difficult to break away from this cycle of constant comparison and fear of being unsuccessful, my advice to all seniors is that we all must be proud of our own accomplishments without downplaying them due to knowledge of others.

This time of year, while it undoubtedly will be anxiety-inducing and stressful due to fear of wondering if one will get into their top choice or not, don’t forget to take some time away from the stress to celebrate every once in a while.

Whether we are accepted into a school with a 90% acceptance rate or 20% acceptance rate, it is crucial to acknowledge the hard work that got us there. Think of the painstaking hours we spent editing our college essays, the years of extracurriculars we completed just to designate a small spot for them on the CommonApp, and the endless hours we spent studying with the hope of achieving a high GPA.

Seniors, we must be sure to take care of ourselves during this time. It is unlikely that we will be accepted into every school to which we apply, but that does not make us lesser students or individuals. It is also likely that we may get rejected from a school that a fellow classmate is accepted to. This does not make us lesser than them.