• :

Student Government Association End of Year Summary

As the 2022-2023 school year comes to an end, SGA would like to take a step back and reflect on the school year as a whole.
The SGA hosted their annual Summer Leadership Workshop with the theme “Game On!” in early August.  About 50 students, representing all four classes, attended. The day consisted of games, prizes, and leadership discussions.  Additionally, they began planning for Spirit Week and for Homecoming.
General meetings for SGA and class council officers and delegates were held once a cycle.  Junior and senior officers met with Mr. Hollin once a cycle as well to discuss student concerns.
As fall sports began, so did Friday Fun Nights. These nights served as a great way to encourage student engagement and raise school spirit. Each night had themes including pink out, neon, Hawaiian, and sports nights.
As students were encouraged to come to watch and support their fellow Patriots, SGA passed out various freebies as students entered.  Additionally, they purchased various backdrops for photos.
SGA supported Senior Unity Day by purchasing gift cards for all of the drawings as well as for the winners of the senior groups.
The Homecoming Dance theme was “Lights, Camera, Action.”  The dance itself returned to the Upper Gym after a year outside due to COVID-19 restrictions.  Spirit Week events included dress down days, a ring hunt, an advisory block party, a quiz bowl, and a pep rally.  Seniors won the Powderpuff Game.
When students came back from the Thanksgiving Break, it was time for the annual Door Decorating Contest.  SGA provided each Advisory with a gift card to Target to help defray the cost of decorating supplies.
SGA played a role in the first annual Festival of Lights in December. Junior SGA Member Allison Coyne designed the t-shirt that all adult and student volunteers wore.  SGA volunteers acted as greeters and guides throughout the evening.
One first this year was the pinning ceremony which was led by the sophomore class council during Catholic Schools Week.  This will become a tradition just like class rings.  The senior class council introduced the Senior Sunset this year.  Occurring after the Baccalaureate Mass, this event included food, fellowship, and photo opportunities.
For holidays this year, including Halloween, Christmas, Valentine’s Day, and St. Patrick’s Day, members of the SGA passed out candy under the canopy.  They were assisted by the Patriot mascot who was always dressed for the occasion.
Issues discussed this past year included dress code, broken microwaves (SGA purchased two new ones for the cafeteria), bell schedules, stairway traffic, event support, blocked websites, soap/paper towel availability, and on-campus parking.
SGA members volunteered at other events including Freshman Orientation, Discover JC evenings, and the 7th Grade Preview. SGA moderators this year were Dr. Davidson and Mrs. Hall.
Submitted by SGA Officers Gracious Ndungu, Mia Snellenburg, and Paige Martin