• :

Students need more opportunities for dress down days

There should definitely be more dress down days for students.  Currently, during the school year, we get to celebrate with a full week of themed dress down days for Homecoming, and then there are a handful of other dress down days sprinkled through the calendar.
When students have dress down days, they like having the chance to express their personal styles. Students enjoy getting to look different than someone else, giving them the chance to be unique.
Students would love to earn more dress down days, which would give them something to look forward to and work toward.
Dress down days can benefit funding for field trips and other events. More dress down days would be beneficial to having more opportunities for fundraisers and ways to raise money for school events.
Right now there is a dress down day one day per quarter that benefits one of the grade levels as each person dressing down pays $3.
We could do this for other organizations or groups.
On dress down days, students get to feel more relaxed, being in comfortable clothing, and comfortable shoes. Students do not have to feel so restricted on dress down days.
The morale of students is higher and more positive on those days. Dress down days would not have a negative impact on the school unless the dress down rules are not being followed, and our students generally follow the dress down day rules with few issues.
For instance, during Spirit Week, the students generated excitement with school spirit and overall happiness. They also had fun dressing for the various themes.
Some may argue that increasing the number of dress down days would be a bad thing.  They may say that there is less of a distraction in learning when students are in their uniforms. Some also may say that dress down days cause some students to feel like it is a fashion show or a way to show off.
It seems with our school dress code rules, the distraction of learning is not an issue. In fact, students act the same even when they get to dress down. As far as a dress down days being a fashion show, students dress to be comfortable clothing, not to be distracting or to show off.  Students just want to attend school comfortably and enjoy those days when they get to.
Overall, there are way more positive reasons to be able to have dress down days more often.
The school has in place guidelines for dressing down on these special and, the students follow them.
Students should be able to be given an opportunity to enjoy more of these comfortable days.