• :

It’s good not to have midterm examinations

Commentary
It has been a few years since John Carroll has had midterm examinations.  Is this a blessing or a curse?
Some may say this is an easy question to answer; a typical student may be completely against midterms.
If there is any talk about bringing midterm exams back at some point, it would be wrong.
In the past, midterms would take place the week before winter break, leaving only two weeks to study. This means that testing would be soon after Thanksgiving.
Some people go visit their families over Thanksgiving break. They enjoy watching football, preparing food, and going shopping.
After all, it is a break, and most people do not want to spend their well-deserved breaks working and studying. They don’t want to have to worry about knowing that they would have to study for several exams that would take place within couple of weeks.
This would be absolutely terrible timing, with Christmas being only two weeks away as well.
In this time before Christmas, students are decorating their homes, shopping for gifts, and planning gatherings with their families and friends.
Some students prepare for Christmas at school as well. Many participate in things like the Student Government Association (SGA) or Performing Arts.
SGA requires planning for holiday traditions around the school, and not to mention, it requires lots of time. Theater does a play in late fall annually. The music groups prepare for their Christmas concert.
Midterms are also known to cause immense stress and pressure to teenagers as they try to juggle everything.
At John Carroll, there are so many subjects to choose from, leaving almost unlimited material to study.
The opposing side may argue that students could start preparing well before Thanksgiving or that a midterm exam would help students prepare for college.
However, students are already overloaded with regular class loads and extra-curriculars at all times.  They are learning to prepare for college by juggling all of that anyway.
Teenagers are known to have some of the worst mental health rates of all ages. On top of possible depression, dysmorphia, and more, exams would cause just another thing for students to get anxious and worried about.
There are also lots of normal tests and quizzes that are already being taken on a regular basis. Many teachers have developed other ways to get major grades in, whether it be anywhere from writing a paper to sharing a presentation.
Adding exams would be twice the stress and pressure, especially after already worrying about other substantial assignments.
In conclusion, there is no necessary reason that midterms should be considered to have a return to The John Carroll School. The timing would be simply inconvenient and stressful.
Students should be able to enjoy the holiday season free from worrying about major examinations.