• :

Listening is vital step in improving our world

Staff Editorial
Each and every one of us learned at an early age that listening is an important skill. However, in today’s world, we often forget what that means.
Listening is not simply hearing.
We all hear the sounds someone makes. We can comprehend the words and nod and give a quick response. But are we really listening?
It is normal to want to speak out to have your voice and your opinions heard. Speaking out is incredibly important. It provides the opportunity to make a difference, especially when we are passionate about what we are sharing.
Words are impactful. We can persuade, expose, describe, share, and do so much more. Additionally, the power of words is not limited; it is available to all.  Therefore, language is an essential tool in making great change.
However, speaking is only half the battle.
When students sit down in a circle and prepare for a Socratic Seminar, many immediately begin to think, “What am I going to say?” Some may go into the discussion with a paper prepared with their comments. Some may have a list of questions in their head. Some even plan to just repeat what another student has said.
As a result, very few students go into the discussion with an open mind, ready to hear what others have said and form a response. While this is a frequent occurrence in the classroom, it also happens in the conversations we have every single day out in the real world.
So much is said, but so little is truly heard. It is easy to focus on what we will say next or how we will argue our own point. It is effortless. It is second nature.
But do not just listen to reply. Listen to understand; listen with respect and compassion.
Do not jump to conclusions. Do not aggressively snap back a response. Do not immediately disregard what is being said, especially if you do not agree.
Instead, choose to try and see the other perspective. Take a moment to think and understand your emotions. Use the conversation to grow your own ideas and opinions.
Each opportunity to listen is an opportunity to learn. Whether that is learning about someone else or about a different idea, listening is a vital step in widening our understanding of the world and the people around us.
As the Dalai Lama once said, “When you talk, you are only repeating what you already know. But if you listen, you may learn something new.”
Especially in a society as divided as ours, hearing cannot be the norm. Rather, we must open our ears, our minds, and our hearts in order to bring people together instead of tearing them apart. Eliminate the hatred and the hostility that fills many discussions to create a positive encounter.
Once this change has been made, a clearer line of communication can be formed. More knowledge can be shared, and more people can come together in a unified way. Speaking is not the only way to make a difference.
Conversations are exceptionally powerful. Our words have the capability to impact lives and transform the world. However, our words mean nothing if there is nobody to listen.