• :

Winter sports complete their seasons

Column: Marching with Grace

All the winter athletes at John Carroll are nearing the end of their seasons. With playoffs coming to an end, everyone wants to win.

A lot of these teams have had to have meets and games rescheduled due to the weather. We have already had school closed five days, and rescheduling games and meets so close to the end of the season has been cramming a lot into a short period of time.
Some of these teams are going to be competing back-to-back to make up for the games that they missed. This could make some teams better and some worse. With saying this, the break could have helped people by mentally and physically, giving them a rest. However, it could have hurt them because they took a break, and now they simply aren’t feeling it.
Our swimming teams have, unfortunately, lost in their run at playoffs, but they both had a great season.
The boys indoor track and field team had a good season, but the girls team really had an amazing season ending with a championship trophy. They won at their meet and they are now the IAAM B conference champions which is a huge accomplishment. All of their hard work paid off.
The boys basketball team looked very good and got better as the season concluded. They earned a huge win against Mount Carmel, a team they lost to in the beginning of the season, so this was a good win that carried their momentum into the next games and into playoffs.
The girls basketball team had some good wins and tough losses. They have had a very up and down season but were ready for playoffs.
After these winter sports all come to an end, spring sports are ready to begin. Spring athletes are preparing for tryouts, especially as the blackout period occurs the week before tryouts. Tryouts are February 20.
People have been training and working hard for their spring season and I am so excited to play and watch all of these spring sports this season.
Winter athletes have the longest season of the year. They started back in November, and some don’t end until mid-February or early March.
With that, you create so many bonds on your team because these are the people you spend most of your time with.