• :

Is St. Patrick’s Day one of the most overrated or underrated holidays?

One View: It’s one of the most underrated holidays

Let’s all stop acting like Saint Patrick’s Day isn’t the most underrated holiday.
For starters, it is rich in culture. Saint Patrick, who the holiday is named after, is the patron saint of Ireland and its national apostle. He was born in the Roman Empire, but at age 16 was kidnapped and taken to Ireland as a slave. He then escaped but returned to Ireland and is said to have brought Christianity to its people. Not only is the history of the holiday interesting, but it should also be one that is important to us with our Catholic beliefs.
Secondly, the leprechaun is the best holiday mascot. Santa, the classic Christmas mascot, is quite creepy in his old age; the Easter Bunny is even scarier in its run-down costume, and Cupid is a gross baby with a bow and arrow. The Saint Patrick’s Day leprechaun also brings yummy chocolate coins.
Also, without Saint Patrick’s Day, the holiday staple; the McDonald’s Shamrock Shake wouldn’t exist. The vanilla-mint shake was introduced as a seasonal item back in 1970. Since then, the franchise has sold over 60 million Shamrock Shakes.
Saint Patrick’s Day is completely hassle-free. The only thing needed to properly celebrate the holiday is green attire.
There are no trees needed to pack with presents, no stockings to stuff, and no scrambling to find significant others the perfect bouquet of flowers or chocolate.
Everyone loves a good parade. Saint Patrick’s Day brings packed streets of orange and green to many cities. Some local parades include Ocean City, Baltimore, and York, PA. The most known celebration is Chicago’s annual river dying. Every year the Chicago River is dyed green. Not only do participants and spectators get to showcase their holiday pride, but they show off Irish heritage, too.
While the chocolate coins are great, the real star of the show is the delicious food that comes with the holiday. Many celebrate St. Patty’s Day with corned beef and cabbage which came about when Irish immigrants substituted corned beef for bacon in the late nineteenth century.
The slow cooked beef, cabbage, and other vegetables like carrots, and potatoes are the perfect way to close out Saint Patrick’s Day. – Ella Campbell
Another View: It’s one of the most overrated holidays
St. Patrick’s Day, a cultural and sacred celebration held on March 17, has been acclaimed with excellent clothing, food, and beverages, but it’s overrated.
St. Patrick’s Day was once a religious day celebrated in honor of Ireland’s patron saint, St. Patrick, but turned to green morph suits, and mobs of green flooding the streets.
I know many enjoy the green fun and celebrating the Irish, but the holiday has reached its potential.
For many years, this holiday has been drastically commercialized and turned into nothing but “Kiss me, I’m Irish” merchandise and leprechaun hats.
St. Patrick’s Day has become less about honoring Irish heritage and more about cheap trinkets.
Whether it’s Main Street or any restaurant, it’s packed. Imagine trying to spend a nice, normal evening dinner when everything is covered in green, and there’s no place to sit.
It’s often cold on this holiday, so there’s very limited seating outside when it comes to restaurants.
I’m sure half of the food or beverages served will be dyed green. Personally, I don’t find green a very appealing color.
  Additionally, many associate themselves to the Irish culture without having any genuine connection to this heritage. This cultural appropriation diminishes the significance behind the real celebration.
However, when compared to other holidays, there’s really no reason to partake in celebrations.
On Christmas, you exchange gifts; in February, you send and receive Valentines; on the 4th of July, you watch fireworks and have cookouts; on Thanksgiving, you get a family meal; and on St. Patrick’s Day, you get green.
The holiday has lost the true meaning by being Americanized with no real time off to celebrate.
While it may be a fun and festive occasion for some, it’s important to acknowledge the real meaning behind St. Patrick’s Day and celebrate Ireland’s culture and heritage. – Peyton Donaldson