Patriots fall to St. Pauls 34-7 in championship game rematch


Erica Kelble

Paul Lorick ’15 runs with the ball during the Friday night game against St. Paul’s last year. JC played all their home conference games under the lights last season and will play in the first night game on senior night against Boys Latin.

Groups of alumni who have returned and students crowd the stands. Players and fans alike wear pink clothes and body paint. Anticipation races throughout the crowd as the game is just about to begin. The ball is kicked off and JC began a rematch against St. Paul’s School, the team who defeated JC in the championship last season.  JC fell to St. Paul’s 34-7

In the first quarter of the game, St. Paul’s attempted to drive down the field, but they were stopped by JC. After JC took possession of the ball, they took it down the field to set up a score from junior Allen Bryant with 6:43 left in the quarter to bring the score to 7-0 JC. St. Paul’s had another scoreless drive, and JC punted it right back after their unsuccessful drive. With 30 seconds left in the first quarter, St. Paul’s got a first down, setting themselves up for quarter two.

In the second quarter the game turned in St. Paul’s favor. They began with a touchdown by number 22 to tie up the game. Soon after, number 56 from St. Paul’s was injured, which stopped the play. St. Paul’s then scored again and raised their score to 14 over JC’s 7. St. Paul’s number 44 intercepted the ball, and the half ended.

Coming out of halftime, St. Paul’s kept their momentum and picked up a touchdown with 9:12 left in the third. Number 20 of St. Paul’s  scored to bring the score to 21-7 St.Paul’s. JC managed to push into the red zone with around four minutes left in the third quarter, but St. Paul’s stopped them and got the ball back. St. Paul’s number 15 then scored a long touchdown run with 4:15 left to bring the score to 28-7 St. Paul’s.

In the fourth quarter the story was the same, with St.Paul’s holding tightly onto their lead. St. Paul’s won the game 34-7 after scoring once more. Senior kicker Pat Kimble said, “We played horrible and we did not execute. We were supposed to win.” Junior  safety Luke Rinehart said, “I thought we came out strong early, but there were a few big plays that changed the game. Once those happened we made mental errors and fell apart.”

Senior wide receiver Mark Michael looks forward to meeting St.Paul’s again. “We will see them again and when we do, we will do everything in our power to play harder the next 48 minutes we see them.”

Cole Alban is the Online Chief for The Patriot and