• Thanksgiving break will start on Nov. 22 and end on Nov. 26

• The Senior Variety Show will be performed on Nov. 21 and 22

Sports Updates: Women’s lacrosse harps on team unity, Golf tees up for new season

Varsity+women%27s+lacrosse+players+senior+Mary+Kate+Gerety+and+sophomore+Molly+Lynch+pounce+on+a+loose+ball.+The+team+played+Bel+Air+High+School+on+March+21+and+won+in+overtime+10-9.+
Varsity women's lacrosse players senior Mary Kate Gerety and sophomore Molly Lynch pounce on a loose ball. The team played Bel Air High School on March 21 and won in overtime 10-9.

Elizabeth Harmison

Elizabeth Harmison

Women’s lacrosse harps on team unity

After losing by just one point to McDonough, the number one team in the nation, the women’s lacrosse team has been preparing to take on the rest of their IAAM conference opponents.
According to head coach Abbey Swift, the team has 12 varsity returners from last year, and ten of them are seniors.
According to Swift, the IAAM is one of the best conferences for women’s lacrosse in the country. Senior varsity member Alice Cumpston is ready for the upcoming season.
“It’ll definitely be difficult, but we will put up a fight,” Cumpston said.
This year, the team’s motto is “Together We Are.”
According to Swift, “This is our motto because together you really can do anything when you work as a team.”
Swift is hopeful for the season but doesn’t want to look too far ahead.
“We’ll take it one day at a time.  We have to have everyone playing well to succeed this season. I try not to look too far ahead because we can always get better,” Swift said.

Golf tees up for new season

After losing to Severn in the semi-finals last season, the golf team is preparing for the start of this season.
Senior captain Taylor Mezzatesta had hoped for more last season but isn’t letting that get to him.
“I was definitely disappointed because we could have beaten [Severn], but we took a lot of positives away from last season and are looking forward to this season,” Mezzatesta said.
Varsity golf head coach Anthony Del Puppo is also looking forward to the season.
“We’d like to make it to the playoffs again, but like every team, we want to make it to the championship,” Del Puppo said.
Last season, the Patriots ended with a record of 5-5 and finished third in the conference.
“There are some good freshmen and sophomores, but also good juniors and seniors. The future doesn’t look too bad,” Del Puppo said.

Mitch Hopkins is a Media Editor for the Patriot and jcpatriot.com.