• Thanksgiving break will start on Nov. 22 and end on Nov. 26

• The Senior Variety Show will be performed on Nov. 21 and 22

Swing and Swish: Mastering the Greens of Augusta

Sports Editor Mike Moxley discusses current events and issues in basketball and golf. Reading this column will keep you caught up with your favorite teams and players.

In the second playoff hole of the 2013 Masters, Angel Cabrera and Adam Scott made the long walk up the 10th fairway to the green in a light rain. Cabrera had a lengthy putt to make for birdie. He wiped his putter off one last time and struck the ball. The ball was on a great line but missed. He would tap in for par.

Scott lined up his putt 15 feet from the hole. He got a great view from the line of Cabrera’s putt and he sank the putt to win the Masters. The crowd erupted, and Scott threw his hands up in exultation.

Sinking the winning putt at the Masters is what all professional golfers, like Scott, dream of all their lives. It was the biggest victory in his career and gave him confidence and recognition as a top golfer in the world ever since.

A win at the prestigious course elevates golfers’ careers like Scott’s.

The Masters Tournament has been held at the famous Augusta National Golf Club for 79 years.

This year will be the 80th edition of the Masters tournament at Augusta National. Players such as Jason Day, Rory Mcllroy, Bubba Watson, and of course Phil Mickelson will surely be contenders, but the questions is who will be the surprise of the event. Often there is a player who makes a strong run for the green jacket that wasn’t really talked about.

CBS Sports announcer Jim Nantz calls it, “a tradition like any other.” This line has been trademarked and rightfully so, Nantz is simply stating the obvious.

The best golfers in the world compete in this tournament to win the highly coveted “Green Jacket.” Golf’s legends, such as Arnold Palmer, Sam Snead, Jack Nicklaus, Gary Player, and Tiger Woods have all made their names there.

The Masters is the first major tournament of the year for the PGA tour and is the first of four during the year. However, for some reason this tournament is where names are made. Last year Jordan Spieth entered the tournament with regards as an upcoming young golfer. He previously had finished tied for second in 2014 to Bubba Watson, which gave him great experience under pressure.

In 2015 Spieth dominated the tournament. He ended up winning by four strokes and became the second youngest to ever win the tournament, second only to Tiger Woods. Spieth went from being a pretty solid player to a household name in less than a week. He has since shot up to the #2 player in the world and looks to be a favorite to win this Masters.

There is one name that you won’t hear this year in the event; Tiger Woods. Woods announced he isn’t ready to return after his back surgery in October 2015. It isn’t a surprise to avid golf fans because Woods hasn’t competed since August 2015 at the Wyndham Championship.

Even without Woods, there are still dozens of golfers who are capable of putting on superb performances worthwhile of tuning in.

One of those performances that will be worth watching is Jason Day. He has been playing great golf winning two of his last three tournaments. Day is the current number one player in the world and is my pick to win the 2016 Masters due to his calmness under pressure when it counts.

Mike Moxley is a Sports Editor for The Patriot and jcpatriot.com.