• Spring break starts Thursday, March 29 and ends on Monday, April 9

• On Wednesday, April 11, there will be a 12:45 p.m. dismissal.

• The freshman class breakfast will be on Wednesday, March 28 in the Brown Room

Week in Sports: Week of Feb. 20

Junior guard Montez Mathis rises up for a dunk in the first quarter against Calvert Hall on Tuesday, Feb. 21. The men's varsity basketball team fell to Calvert Hall 78-84 in the MIAA A Conference Quarterfinals.

Grace Mottley

Grace Mottley

Men’s Basketball – Tuesday

The men’s basketball team started their playoffs this week in the MIAA A Conference Quarterfinals. On Tuesday, Feb. 21, the team lost to Calvert Hall at home with a score of 78-84. Even though they were knocked out in the quarterfinals, the team will get a chance to redeem themselves at the Baltimore Catholic League Quarterfinals on Friday March 3.

Wrestling – Friday and Saturday

The men’s wrestling team competed in the National Preps Tournament at Lehigh University on Friday and Saturday, Feb. 24-25. Only four wrestlers qualified to compete in the tournament, including freshman Matt Mitrega, juniors Adam Berg and Jeremiah Rosser, and senior Eric Ashton.

Mitrega went 2-2 in the 120 lb. weight class and made it to the final 16 in the bracket. Berg went 2-2 in the 285 lb. weight class, also making it to the final 16 in the bracket. Due to a late entry in the tournament, Rosser was able to compete and went 1-2 in the 182 lb. weight class. Ashton went 1-2 in the 145 lb. weight class, and finished his JC wrestling career with 101 wins.

“Every individual exceeded my expectations for Nationals. Making it to nationals in itself is something that anyone should be proud of. These individuals wrestled fantastically, everyone won at least one match which is a big deal, and although no one made it to the second day they all wrestled great and left nothing behind to regret,” junior Adam Berg said.

Emily Stancliff and Christina Giovanazi are Sports Editors for The Patriot and jcpatriot.com.