Senior Kenzie Currey gets offers from colleges

Ella McGuire, Assistant Media Chief

Senior Kenzie Currey is playing her last year on the JC volleyball team. She has been playing since seventh grade, and has made big accomplishments.

When she was 12, Kenzie decided to pick up a volleyball. Ever since then, she has been an all-star libero for not only the John Carroll team but for Premier Volleyball Club, too.

Since she has been playing for about six years, Kenzie has made great memories over the years.
She said, “One of my favorite memories was making my first club volleyball team. It gave me a great sense of accomplishment, and it made me realize that I’m good at the sport.”

Kenzie is a great athlete, which is why she is getting offers from excellent colleges. Her goal is to apply for early admission. So far, she has looked at schools along the East Coast. “Currently, I am taking Rutgers University and Brown University into consideration.”

Kenzie plans to major in a science field. She is deciding between Forensic Psychiatry and Criminal Profiling, Climatology, and Astrophysics. Whatever she chooses, Kenzie has set herself on a bright path, full of numerous opportunities.

While Kenzie is a great player, she still faces challenges when on the court. “It’s not so much about the challenges while playing; it’s the mental mistakes.”

She added, “I get in my head a lot and psych myself out.” However, Kenzie has a coping mechanism that helps her.

“In between points, I put my hands on my knees, relax my back, and take a breath to calm myself.” She feels that this helps clear her head to get in the right mental spot so she can perform better.

Kenzie isn’t always running around on the volleyball court. In her free time, she loves to spend time with friends and family, shop for vinyl records, participate in school clubs, and watch reality TV shows.

Kenzie has words of advice for other student athletes. She said, “Do what you genuinely love.”
She reflected on her own personal experience and said, “I’ve realized over high school that when you attempt to force yourself to enjoy your sport, you’re not exactly in love with playing.”

Kenzie compared it to mental health, which she is a strong advocate for. “If you keep doing something you don’t enjoy, it affects your mental health. As student-athletes, we need to give our bodies and minds the rest we need.”

Kenzie has big plans in both her academic and athletic college career and will achieve many more great things in her life.