JC softball player is Netherlands-bound

Gabby Albright, Photography & Art Editor

Sophomore Juliana Aragon has received a once-in-a-lifetime chance to play a national softball tournament in the Netherlands.

When playing in a showcase called “New England’s Finest” a few weeks ago, Juli was chosen by a scout to play in the Netherlands for a National Cup. Players from all over the country and from many different clubs are picked to be on one of only two teams who will be going away in January.

Juli said, “I think it’s going to help me develop as a player a lot because we are playing against college Olympic players from different countries.”

The organization is also paying for Juli’s meals, uniform, and transportation when she gets there. This unique opportunity makes Juli “very excited” for what’s to come in her future softball career.

Not only will Juli be representing her club team in the Netherlands, but she will also be representing JC Softball.

Varsity Softball Head Coach Sherry Hudson said, “It will be a wonderful experience for her to go to the Netherlands, to travel to a different country and experience their culture. Also, to play against college-aged kids to see where she is in terms of her abilities and what she needs to do to improve. To see how teams from other countries practice and go about their skill training will also be informative.”

Juli is able to play many different positions. For JC, Juli is a defensive catcher. Being able to play in the Netherlands will give her a glimpse at college softball and improve her abilities to perform at John Carroll for the upcoming season.

Last year, as a freshman on varsity, Juli was able to help take her team to the championships.
Coach Hudson said, “We are proud of her playing in the Netherlands and hope she spreads the good word about JC in terms of the school and its athletic programs.”