Track team makes JC proud at championships

Annabel Everett, Features Editor

The John Carroll track team attended championships this year on Friday, January 17. The teams who attended included varsity girls and boys and JV boys. The events included solo running, relay races, hurdles, long jump, javelin, and shot put.

Outside of JC, other high school track teams in the MIAA and IAAM attended, including McDonogh, Maryvale, Spalding, Bryn Mawr, Mount de Sales, NDP, Gilman, Calvert Hall, Loyola, and Curley among others.

Track and Field Coach Robert Torres said, “The team prepared for this event by lots of practice and several meets leading up to championships.”

The team practiced after school every day of the season, and they had a track meet on almost every Friday of the season.

Mr. Torres explained that he and the athletes worked together to “fine tune where athletes would perform the best at championships.”

However, these goals came with many challenges. Mr. Torres said that the hardest part of the season was “getting quality workouts outside even in the cold because we cannot practice inside as effectively.”

Mr. Torres said, “In theory, track is an easy sport to improve in. The challenge is to put the work in. Those who show up every day and put in quality practices, with the right guidance, will get better.”

There were multiple athletes who placed in the top three for their events, including senior Andrew Brown, who placed first for the 1600 Meter Varsity Run with an astounding time of 4 minutes, 29 seconds.

Additionally, senior Caroline Kozera finished first in the 55 Meter Women’s Hurdle Event, and junior Rylee Smolenski finished third with times 9.24 and 10.47.

Freshman Addison Weaver finished third for the Women’s Triple Jump. Senior Laura Hughes finished third for the Women’s Shot Put Event, and senior Drew Evans finished second for the Men’s Shot Put Event.

Finally, there were two relay races who finished in the top three for the event. The 4 x 200 relay race finished in second place and included sophomore Taylor Pate, freshman Addy Weaver, and seniors Caroline Kozera and Olivia Chesla.

The 4 x 800 relay race finished third and included sophomores Maddie Wassin and Lily Holcomb, freshman Cali Friedel, and senior Tori Novak.

Mr. Torres explained that there were many personal records by the athletes, and that he was very happy with how the team did this year. “We had tons of improvement from veterans, and I really like the new group that came in this year.”

Mr. Torres said his favorite part of the season were the meets because “that’s where you see what all of those 30 to 40 degree practices were for and seeing the team excited over their results.”

Mr. Torres also revealed that the most rewarding part of the process is “seeing the athletes reach personal records and goals throughout the season and perform well in their events.”