Upsets flood March Madness brackets

Caroline Bomboy, Assistant News Editor

Every year, college basketball fans look forward to March Madness. March Madness is a tournament comprised of the 68 of the best Division I college basketball teams. The winner of March Madness is the NCAA Division I champion.

Teams found out their seeding on March 12, a day known as Selection Sunday. This year, the teams receiving a number one seed were Alabama, Houston, Kansas, and Purdue.

Last year, Kansas won the NCAA Division I basketball championship. Kansas won the Big-12 title this year and had an overall season record of 27-7. Kansas was the 1-seed in the West Regional. Kansas lost in the second round to 8-seed Arkansas.

This year, the tournament began on March 14. The first four games took place on March 14 and 15 to decide the 64 teams in the bracket.

The first and second-round games were played between March 14 and March 19.

The most exciting part of the tournament is trying to predict all the winners. Upsets are usually the most entertaining games in the tournament. In the first round this year, 16-seed Fairleigh Dickinson University beat 1-seed Purdue. This is only the second time in tournament history that a 1-seed lost in the first round.

Another one of the other biggest upsets in the first round was Princeton, a 15-seed, who beat 2-seed Arizona. After their victory in the first round, Princeton beat 7-seed Missouri to secure a spot in the Sweet 16.

In the second round, 1-seed Kansas lost to 8-seed Arkansas and 7-seed Michigan State upset 2-seed Marquette.

After the Sweet 16, no 1-seeded teams remain in the tournament. SDSU, a 5-seed, upset 1-seed Alabama, and 1-seed Houston lost to 5-seed Miami.

The Final Four will be held this weekend at the NRG Stadium in Houston, Texas. The four remaining teams are SDSU, Florida Atlantic, Miami, and Connecticut. The championship game will be held on April 3.

Basketball fans follow along with the tournament by creating brackets to predict the winners of each game.

With many highly-seeded teams already out of the tournament, many students’ brackets have already been busted. Junior Bryonna O’Brien picked Duke to win her bracket. Duke lost in the second round to Tennessee.

Sophomore Natalie Gotzmann chose Alabama to be the NCAA Division I champion. Natalie’s favorite part of March Madness is “the excitement of the upsets that are unplanned.”