• :

Anderson takes on third year of varsity softball

Athlete Profile
Junior Sophie Anderson is in her third year of varsity softball with John Carroll. Sophie is a two-sport athlete, playing both varsity softball and soccer since her freshman year.
Sophie announced her commitment to UMBC on November 18, 2022. Sophie plays shortstop and bats right with a powerful swing. Being able to commit to UMBC at a young age was a dream for her.
Sophie said, “Since I was little, I dreamed of going to a great college that I felt supported and comfortable at all times. I started my recruiting process at the beginning of the sophomore year and committed on November 18. Recruiting is one of the most stressful and difficult processes I have gone through. Staying positive and working consistently helped me get through it. Out of all the schools I visited and attended camps, none of them made me feel the way UMBC did. The coaches, the players, the atmosphere, and the feeling I got when I was there made me want to be a part of it, and I thank God for the opportunity every day.”
Since Sophie was little, all she could dream about was playing in college. Her career was long and hard, but it was all worth it in the end.
Being a junior and committing this early is an honor and a blessing for Sophie.
Sophie said, “I have been playing softball since I started walking. My dad played baseball and was a very good player, so he wanted to teach me what he knew as soon as he could. I started off playing t-ball at Fallston and eventually joined the Forest Hill Heat where I met a lot of my good friends and then eventually moved to the Churchville Lightning. I fell in love with softball and started to get better every day. My little self would be in awe to know that I committed to a D1 school to play softball, and I would not change this opportunity for anything.”
Not only did Sophie commit at a young age, but she also loved how UMBC offers many different majors. Making the time for both softball and school can be challenging, but with the perfect mindset Sophie knows she can do it.
Sophie has had the honor of being a team captain for softball since she was a sophomore. Sophie began playing on varsity for both softball and soccer at the beginning of her high school career.
Sophie commented “Balancing two sports is not easy, but it’s something I love doing.”
Sophie added that being active and always busy is what keeps her fit and ready for anything.
“Sometimes I will have high school soccer/softball and then go straight to my club soccer/softball practices. Even though it can be hard sometimes, it is good for me and allows me to play two sports that I love.”
After Sophie announced her commitment to UMBC she soon started her junior year of playing softball after taking the team last year to the championship and coming just short of a win. She was determined to take home a championship this year.
Regarding this season Sophie commented, “Coming into this season I was pumped and ready to see what we could do. I knew we had some great players and if we all pulled together, it would take us far.”
She added, “One way I made sure this season would be great is just getting us all close. I think having a great team chemistry is a huge factor in winning games. We have that great chemistry and can rely on each other when we fall. I am so proud of us all so far and know that we are going for the championship.”