• :

Bennett contributes to three championship teams this year

Junior beats championship odds
This year, several of John Carroll’s athletic teams took home championship title wins. From track and field to swimming, there were numerous wins for JC. However, one athlete went above and beyond when it came to winning.
Junior Annie Bennett was a part of three Patriot teams who took home titles this past year. In the fall, she was on the field hockey team, girls swimming in the winter, and girls golf this spring.
At the May 17 ceremony, Athletic Director Seth Goldberg noted that this achievement is “incredibly rare.”
In each sport, Annie had a wide variety of successes, both with the team and personally.
Annie said, “All of these victories were special in their own way because of how each season went and how different each of my sports are.”
In field hockey, Annie was the leading scorer in the regular season contributing greatly to their regular season record. Their regular season record had only two losses against Mercy.  The team worked extra hard to make it to the top and secure a championship win.
While there were many ups and downs in the season, Annie said that the win was an “amazing feeling. . . At the end of that game when the buzzer went off, and the final score was 1-0 us, there was just this sense of pride and relief in all of us that we had finally beaten them.  It was in the championship, so it was even better.”
In swimming, Annie placed in the top three in each of her events. She won first place in 100 breaststroke which was “extremely special” to her.
In regard to the victory, Annie said, “Being able to accomplish my individual goals this season and bringing home the championship trophy was such an amazing feeling.”
Finally, Annie said that the golf championship was a little different. John Carroll’s girls golf team was the first girls golf team to win a championship in the school’s history. She said that being a part of that team was “pretty amazing.”
However, Annie commented, “No victory was felt more worthy than another because they were all so different for me.”
Annie has high hopes for next year as she believes each team can secure another championship win.
“I love playing all of my sports and am so grateful for all of my teams and coaches this season, and I would not have been able to do it without any of them.”