• :

Hughes makes her final catches in high school

Senior Laura Hughes just finished playing her last season of high school softball; she has been on varsity since she was a freshman.
She started playing t-ball when she was seven-years-old. Then, she moved on to play on various Little League teams. From there she was picked to play on her local travel team. After a few years she moved to play on the Maryland Dynasty National Team.
Her main position is catcher, and her secondary position is second base. “I love catching because I am part of almost every play, I oversee everything going on in the field, and there are always lots of different things to do, so I think it’s really fun.”
Laura is a two-time Maryland State Champion and a Tennessee State Champion in softball. She has been a co-editor for the school yearbook for her junior and senior years and is in the Quill and Scroll Honor Society.
Varsity Softball Coach Sherry Hudson said, “Laura is a quiet leader. She is dependable, responsible, respectful of her teammates and coaches, and always gives maximum effort. Laura is very businesslike and always gets the job done without having to ask her twice. She always has a smile on her face and an incredibly pleasant demeanor that her teammates enjoy being around.”
Laura commented, “My parents have helped get me to where I am now. They have always taken me to all my practices and games no matter how far away or how long they were. They have supported all my goals and helped me through the recruiting process.”
She is moving on to study criminology at Chesapeake College and will play on their softball team. “I chose Chesapeake because there is a talented team environment, and it is close to home. I will also have the opportunity to transfer to a bigger softball program from this school,” Laura added.
She is excited to play softball with her new teammates, travel with her team, and live on her own.
However, if she could go back to her freshman year, she would tell herself, “There will be many tough days, but with hard work and determination you can overcome them and reach your goals.”