• :

John Carroll says farewell to a veteran coach

Mrs. Gauthier prepares for retirement at the end of the school year
A John Carroll legend both on and off of the field is preparing to say goodbye.  Mrs. Tess Gauthier is retiring.
Mrs. Gauthier has had a major impact on John Carroll Patriots, and after 33 years of being a teacher and coach. Mrs. Gauthier is moving on.
Athletic Director Seth Goldberg said, “Mrs. Gauthier has accomplished so much as an athlete and coach, but her accomplishments do not hold a candle to who she is for our students, teachers, and coaches. Her huge heart and supportive mindset are at the core of everything she does.”
“My first coaching time here was assisting Bev Hill with field hockey and lacrosse right after I graduated from college, 1975 – 1976 school year, but then I got hired to teach at Edgewood High School where I coached field hockey and lacrosse from 1976 – 1980 with my last year also coaching swimming. That was the first year for swimming in the county,” Mrs. Gauthier explained.
After changing careers and becoming a Registered Respiratory Therapist, she returned to JC to coach JV field hockey in 1990 and then became the varsity and JV coach about two years later.
“I coached both teams until 2008, and then was in and out helping. I also coached varsity and JV badminton until 2019.”
Mrs. Gauthier believed it was time for her retirement, but with that she said she will miss everything such as being able to see her friends on the faculty and her students.
Mrs. Gauthier said, “I think it keeps you young,” regarding how being around kids and students keeps people young in a way.
Even though she is leaving, she is still planning on going to school games and the plays and concerts that she enjoys.
Mrs. Gauthier said she really enjoyed coming back as an alumna for many reasons. One of those reasons was that she was able to see people who were her teachers, and she has been at the school for a long time from being a student to coach and teacher.
Mr. Goldberg commented, “Whether as a teacher or a coach, she always puts the students first. This showed this year, in her last year, as she was willing to come out of coaching retirement to coach field hockey because the girls needed her.  We will miss her, but her impact will continue to be felt after she steps away because we all know, she will be there at every game, supporting our Patriots.”
She finished her final year as the head coach of the girls’ field hockey team. This season she led her girls in the championship game where they pulled out a 1-0 win against Mercy High School.
Mrs. Gauthier said, “Certainly, winning championships are great memories, but I really enjoyed getting to know students outside of the classroom. I also had the great opportunity to coach my daughter and her friends, and they are still friends to this day.”
During her time, her she has built relationships with many different students and has helped students over many years overcome different things and has been a huge effect on Patriots’ lives.
“I always believed in having a strong connection between JV and varsity players, and coaching both teams made that possible. I wanted to be competitive, but at the same time making sure it was a fun and positive experience that would leave them with long lasting happy memories of sports at JC,” said Mrs. Gauthier.
Assistant Principal Jake Hollin said, “It’s hard to explain the impact Mrs. Gauthier has had on so many young individuals’ lives. She is such a positive person and truly practices all the lessons she teaches. She will be greatly missed by the John Carroll community but has been a shining example of grace and passion at her days at John Carroll. Thanks for all the years of pouring yourself out to the community. We hope retirement is restful, restoring, and relaxing.”