• :

Junior brings experience to lacrosse team

Natalie Kelly was seven years old when she started playing lacrosse.  “I started playing because I loved soccer and basketball and sports in general and wanted to try out another one.”
Her biggest inspiration is lacrosse player Belle Smith from Boston College. Natalie said, “As a sophomore, she stood out and was recognized by the NCAA for her achievements. I strive to be a consistent and game-altering two-way midfielder like her.”
As the lacrosse season came to an end, Natalie remarked, “We have a way better record from last year and have competed with some of the best teams in the country.”
Natalie is a junior captain. With one year left of high school lacrosse, she said, “Thinking about only having one year left at John Carroll upsets me. I truly love the school and the impact the lacrosse program has made on my life. However, I am beyond excited to find out what the next four years of my life look like after high school.”
Regarding the responsibilities of being a captain Natalie said, “It is extremely important to me. In athletics I have always had a voice and a leadership role on any team that I am on; however, the captain role allows me to step up and grow as a player in ways I never thought were possible. As a junior, I am thankful that I can learn these lessons now as opposed to in a year because they have truly altered this season for me in the best way.”
After high school, Natalie plans to continue her academic and athletic careers at the University of South Florida.
Natalie trains for lacrosse year-round. In the off-season, “I train a lot and in different ways, I lift and condition often with a trainer, work on my stick-work individually, and work on dodging and shooting with a different trainer” she said.
  She has a very busy off-season and puts in the work to be where she needs to be.
In addition to playing lacrosse for JC, she plays soccer. Outside of school, she enjoys spending time with her family and friends.
Looking back, she would tell her younger self “to be easier on myself, to take losses and mistakes lightly and learn from them as opposed to focusing on them. I would also tell her not to stress about the uncontrollable and to just play the game that you love.”
Natalie’s teammate, junior Sojo Hollin, commented, “Natalie is a great person to surround yourself with both in sports and life. She is always pushing me to do my best in the way that she holds herself to high standards of excellence. She works hard on and off the field to help others around her in any way she can. As a teammate she works for others and is not a selfish player. All around, she is a great person who is always very supportive and caring.”