• :

Riley returns to varsity volleyball as a junior

Junior Jaden Riley is playing on the boys varsity volleyball team for the second year in a row. Jaden, an outside hitter for the team, is one of their top players.
Jaden plays outside of school, too; he plays club for the Charm City Volleyball Academy and at the club True Baltimore.
Volleyball has not always been a sport Jaden has played. Jaden said he got into the sport because of his father who wanted him to play two sports in high school.  As a result, Jaden elected to pick a “high-paced sport” like volleyball instead of the other options available.
Even though Jaden has not been playing the sport very long, he has the desire to improve as much as he can. Last year after the season, he talked to Coach Tucker Snow who recommended he play club.
Jaden said, “I trusted his words and took a chance, and I improved so much.”
This was shown after the team’s victory against Gilman earlier this month when Jaden got 14 kills. Volleyball does not just make Jaden happy, it helps him improve his lacrosse skills, too. Even though Jaden has played lacrosse longer, he does not really have a favorite sport.
Jaden said, “I cannot decide which sport is my favorite because they both bring different energy to the table.”
Jaden now plays volleyball because he finds immense joy in it. “I have great teammates and great coaches, and I have a lot of love for the sport and love the energy in the sport.”
Jaden’s favorite memory from volleyball is from his sophomore year. During that year, the varsity team needed only one more win to secure their spot in the playoffs. Jaden said his favorite memory comes from this game when they played against Calvert Hall.
JC ended the game in overtime with a 15-12 set to win over Calvert Hall. “It was a big win and a great feeling to beat Calvert Hall.” Jaden is now committed to play division one lacrosse at Towson University.