• :

Ice skating can be a family or solo sport to try in winter

When people ask what sports you play, the last thing they think you might say is ice skating. Even though it is a rare sport to indulge in, it’s my favorite sport I’ve ever been a part of.
It is an amazing sport for many reasons. Doing a sport outside of school forces a person to branch out. It’s an amazing opportunity to meet new people who also have your passion for the ice and to make new friends.
Another bond you make is with your coach. Doing private lessons helps create an irreplaceable relationship with your instructor. You cry, laugh, and fall with them. They become both your mentor and your best friend.
Ice skating is also a very family-friendly sport. There is no age requirement, making it fun for all ages. At many ice rinks, they have small walkers for newcomers to hold onto for support. Public skating sessions are filled with laughing family members who are enjoying the amazing atmosphere.
Negatives, while there are few, do come with the sport, though. Skating often leads to weak ankles and knees and other injuries simply just from falling.
These injuries come with any high-intensity sport, though, off or on the ice. Another negative is the frigid temperature of the rink. If the cold isn’t your favorite, ice skating isn’t for you.
Another negative is that larger families may have issues crowding into ice skating rinks. It depends on the size of the rink and the family. The times the crowding is the worst is normally between 12-2. A good time to avoid crowds would  be early in the morning.
Ice World, located in Abingdon, is a close ice-skating rink that invites everyone to join the fun.
They have the option of public skating for $13 where families can skate around and have fun. For lessons, they have private lessons, group lessons, and specific adult lessons.
Group and adult lessons are $159 and private lessons are $30+.
Another rink is located at 8130-D Honeygo Blvd Nottingham. This is an outdoor, public skate-only rink that also accommodates new skaters with pushable walkers.
Entry tickets are available online for $11 for adults; $10 for seniors and kids or at the front of the rink for $13 for adults; $12 for seniors and kids.
Ice skating is the perfect winter sport. Winter coats, warm gloves, and fluffy socks are a guaranteed push into the snowy spirit.
Though it comes with some flaws, like any sport, it’s an amazing sport to do with family and friends or privately with a coach.