• :

Chhun continues on her swim journey

Junior Sara Chhun concluded her third season swimming this year after competing in 100-meter freestyle, 100-meter breaststroke, and 200-meter freestyle.
Sara was first introduced to the sport of competitive swimming 11 years ago after her parents and swim coach realized her potential for the sport, ultimately, leading her to continue to today.
The season began back in November with plenty of practices and meets throughout the season.
However, Sara has since faced some challenges along the way. She said, “It’s harder this year because we moved up to the B conference, and the seniors who used to swim the longer events like the 500-meter freestyle have since graduated.”
Girls Varsity Swim Coach Megan Piercy commented, “Sara is a strong swimmer and has scored in most of her events for us this season.”
While Sara is an influential swimmer on her team, it is also crucial for her to excel in school while she finds the time to continue her athletic career.
Sara explained, “I do homework and projects with friends on bus rides whenever we have away meets. I also ask friends and teachers for help whenever I need it.”
She added, “Also this year our practices start earlier so they end earlier which gives me more time after practice compared to freshman and sophomore years.”
Additionally, within the JC swim team, there has been a variety of underclassmen and upperclassmen all within one lane.
Coach Piercy explained, “It’s great seeing everyone working together and seeing upperclassman swimmers like Sara pulling in the newer swimmers and teaching them the ropes.”
Although Sara does not plan to swim at a collegiate level or outside of school, she will be lifeguarding this summer.