• :

Girls indoor track & field wins the IAAM championship

The girls indoor track and field team traveled to Prince George’s Sports and Learning Complex on Friday, January 26, where they competed against other schools in their conference for the championship title. After a seven-hour event, John Carroll was victorious.
In addition to the team’s winning, several athletes won their individual events. First-place finishers and members of the all-conference team included seniors Lauren Gallagher and Maggie Moloney, junior Maddie Wassin, and sophomores Cali Friedel, Lily Holcomb, and Danica Ross.
The team had limited home meets and practice time this season because the practice facility that the indoor track team uses was far away and undergoing construction. Even through the multiple snow days and limited facilities, the team was able to improve throughout the season and ultimately win the championship.
Girls Indoor Track and Field Coach Robert Torres said that winning is always the best. His favorite part about coaching is “seeing individuals have success.”
Next year, Coach Torres hopes to “come out and improve on their previous year and, hopefully, get new people out on the team.”
Senior Maggie Moloney contributed to the team’s victory by winning first in the 4x800m relay.
She said, “It felt really good to win because it was a whole team effort. Everyone who ran earned points for the team, and most of us won medals in our individual events. We are hoping to carry this momentum into the spring season as well.”
Junior Maddie Wassin commented, “It felt very accomplishing because as captain, I got to see how much the team has grown since I first joined. Everyone worked so hard for this win which made it feel way more special. Seeing how well everyone performed in their events made me proud to be a part of the team and proud to be one of their captains.”