• :

Kansas City Chiefs win Super Bowl LVIII in overtime

Super Bowl LVIII will be one to remember. From Usher’s halftime show to it being the second game ever in Super Bowl history to go into overtime, the Kansas City Chiefs beat the San Francisco 49ers 25–22 in overtime play.
The  49ers went 12-5 during the regular season, defeating the Green Bay Packers in the divisional round to advance to the NFC Conference championship against the Detroit Lions. In the conference championship game, the 49ers were down 24 – 7 at the half. They overcame a 17-point deficit to advance to the Super Bowl and avoid a third straight loss in the conference title game.
The Kansas City Chiefs finished the season with a 11-6 record, first in the AFC West. The Chiefs beat the Miami Dolphins in the Wild Card round 26-7, the Buffalo Bills in the Divisional Round 27-24, and the Ravens in the Conference Championship 17-10. Finally, the won against the 49ers in the Super Bowl 25-22.
The Super Bowl action started very slowly. Both teams had multiple possessions of the ball, and neither scored in the first quarter. In the very beginning of the second quarter, the 49ers made a field goal, putting them up 3-0.
During the following possession by the Chiefs, they fumbled the ball within the 10-yard line and blew their chance to score. The 49ers put together a 90-yard drive to score a touchdown to put them up against the Chiefs 10-0. Just before the half, the Chiefs kicked a field goal to make the score 10-3.
Following halftime, the Chiefs received the ball to start the third quarter. Only two minutes into the quarter, Patrick Mahomes threw an interception, not helping the fact that they were down. However, the 49ers were not able to capitalize, so it didn’t cost them.
What put the 49ers in a hole in the third quarter was their inability to score. They had numerous chances to increase their lead, but they never were able to score. That left an opening for the Chiefs who went on to score a total of 10 points in the third quarter.
Starting the fourth quarter, the Chiefs were up 13-10. Brock Purdy and the 49ers put together a perfect touchdown drive, but the extra point after the touchdown was blocked, which in the end would come to hurt them tremendously.
With each team’s having two possessions in the fourth quarter, they were both able to score, the 49ers with a touchdown and a field goal and the Chiefs with two field goals.
Chiefs’ kicker Harrison Butker nailed the 29-yard field goal with three seconds left in the game to tie it and send the game into overtime.
The 49ers won the coin toss in overtime, and they chose to get the ball first. They went on a four-minute drive that ended with a field goal, putting them up 22-19. Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs’ offense then led an amazing drive with huge plays on third down leading to them to score a touchdown with three seconds left in the game.
And, yes, Taylor Swift was there watching her significant other Travis Kelce and the Chiefs win.