• :

Pre-season work enriches JC athletics in preparation for tryouts

As the 2023-2024 winter athletics season comes to an end, many spring athletics are beginning to prepare for tryouts that will be held at the end of February. This preparation consists of lifts in the Brown Fitness Center and other off-campus gyms, various team meetings, and engaging bonding activities.
Pre-season engagements can benefit a team greatly. It has been a year since these teams have gathered.
Returners as well as new players must reconnect to form the ideal team and to make connections that a sport may have made toward the end of the previous season. Preparations for tryouts are extremely effective on building some of the best athletes.
This winter, girls lacrosse has held several practices on Sunday mornings and lifts outside of school on weekdays to prepare for their season.
Coaches have met with the girls to explain scheduling and basics for how they will conduct tryouts.
Boys lacrosse has met off campus every day to lift weights. They’ve occasionally held practices and team scrimmages as well.
Baseball has put in work at Absolute Sports Performance in Abingdon. This facility allows athletes to lift weights and work on fundamentals in their hitting and pitching tunnels.
Softball has consistently been working out in the Brown Fitness Center on Mondays and Wednesdays after school.
The track and field team just completed their indoor season with the girls bringing home an IAAM championship title. The indoor season has been amazing preparation for the upcoming spring season. The team is expected to do great things this spring.
Boys tennis will soon meet to discuss tryouts. Tennis tryouts consist of a tournament between athletes until the top seven players are determined, and those players will become the varsity team.
All lacrosse, baseball, softball, and badminton tryouts will begin on February 20 with varsity boys tennis following on February 21.
Track and field tryouts will be held on February 29. Time and location of varsity golf tryouts is yet to be determined.
Anyone planning to participate in spring athletics are to ensure that a physical has been turned in via MagnusHealth and see one of the athletic trainers to complete the Sway test.
Athletes participating in track and field, badminton, and boys tennis do not need to take the Sway test.