• :

Joyce prepares for the 2024 lacrosse season

Sophomore Emlen Joyce is in his second season playing on John Carroll’s varsity lacrosse team.

Emlen feels confident in the team’s ability to adapt to the new coaching staff.
Emlen said, “I like the new coaching staff; Coach Braden is very honest and open to helping our players improve.”
Dean of Students Gunnar Waldt is the new head boys varsity lacrosse coach. Emlen said, “Coach Gunner brings a lot of energy and leadership to the team.”
One thing that has made this switch to a new head coach easier is the fact that Emlen has had experience dealing with different coaches.
Emlen is used to the transition of coaches from season-to-season. His biggest challenge has been finding a team outside of school.
He has frequently switched club teams, searching for the best fit. The thing he looks for most in a club team is the opportunities he has for playing time.
Emlen’s favorite position is midfield. He has been playing lacrosse since he was five-years-old. He started the sport at such a young age because his parents wanted him to be involved in the sport.
Emlen’s dad inspired him to start playing lacrosse.
He said, “All my life, he has pushed me and encouraged me and has always been with me not matter what.”
Emlen aspires to play D1 lacrosse in college, so having a great support system is important to his success.
Lacrosse is Emlen’s primary sport. During lacrosse season, it can be difficult to manage time with school and sports to maintain good grades.
Emlen tries to not procrastinate his work and get it all done as soon as possible. Any free time is spent on the field practicing.
In his 11 years of playing lacrosse, Emlen has had the opportunity to form many friendships and make lots of memories. Emlen recalled a time when he played for his middle school club team.
He said, “My favorite lacrosse memory is in eighth grade when I scored my first hat trick in a tournament.”