John Carroll fall sports ready to resume games & matches

After a canceled spring season and a postponed fall season, games and matches are set to begin in early November

Belle Wilson, Editor-in-Chief

Coaches, players, and staff have been awaiting the return of fall sports since summer practices began, and the wait is now over.

On October 12, the Interscholastic Athletic Association of Maryland posted the following statement on their website: “After much deliberation, the MIAA and IAAM have supported a return to play opportunity for fall sport student-athletes at all Member Schools. With the majority of our Member Schools welcoming students back onto campuses, the Boards of Governors from both leagues met and proposed two alternatives for consideration. A vote was taken on Friday by school leadership from both leagues and an ‘Open Season’ approach resulted. Under this approach, the leagues will not provide official league schedules but will provide member schools the opportunity to create student-athlete involvement and competition within the comfort level determined by each school. The type and amount of activities made available will be at the discretion of each school.”
This news broke quickly, leaving JC to release the following comment to students, staff, coaches, and parents that fall sports are “moving full speed ahead, and we have finalized our tryout schedule for next week.”
Teams had tryouts the week of October 19, and games and matches are slated to begin the first week in November.
JC stated in the same email, “We are still working on transportation guidelines as well as working with other schools to finalize protocols for spectators.”
In an announcement released on October 21 by Director of Athletics Seth Goldberg, JC disclosed that JC will not, “be using buses, so parents will be responsible for transporting their athletes to and from games. Students who are licensed drivers are permitted to drive themselves to games.”
Junior Annelise Lakatta said, “I just got my license, and my parents work, so getting to games that are far will be a challenge.”
JC also announced that spectators will be allowed, “a limited number of spectators per sport.” This decision varies from school to school, but spectators for JC home games will be allowed.
“I am excited to be seeing our fall athletes return to the field and court. The coaches and athletic department staff have been working hard since the middle of the summer to make this happen. We will need the help of all our athletes, coaches, and administrators to keep everyone safe and have a successful fall season. Go Patriots!” said Head Athletic Trainer Erik Fabriziani.
Students on campus for in-person classes with after school athletics will have check in with Mr. Joe Proud, Attendance & Study Hall Moderator once their last classes have ended.
Students must remain in the cafeteria or courtyard until their designated practice time.
At 3:45, students with later practice times should proceed to Gerry Gray Stadium and take a seat marked with tape in the bleachers.
Additionally locker room use this season will be slim-to-none.
Mr. Goldberg noted, “Athletes will not be permitted in the locker room until 15 minutes prior to tryout/practice time and should take all belongings with them as no one will be permitted to return to the locker room after tryouts/practice.”
In order to play, athletes must have submitted the On-Campus Participation form and have a physical and ImPACT testing on file.
Junior Gabbi Meyer commented on this announcement by saying, “I’m really excited to get back on the field to play field hockey with my team.”