The Brown Fitness Center opens for use

Area formally known as “The Brown Room” once hosted meetings

The Brown Fitness Center opens for use

Belle Wilson, Editor-in-Chief

John Carroll has a new addition to campus in place of what was once a conference area. The new Brown Fitness Center opened November 8. The area, once called “The Brown Room,” now covers all types of fitness equipment from one side of the room to the other.

The Brown Fitness Center is open from 9:00 am – 4:00 pm for the John Carroll student body. Students have time slots that mirror their normal class schedule mods in which to workout. Outside of that, athletic teams will be able to use the space after 4:00 pm.
JC released the statement that said, “We are delighted to share that the new fitness center will be open for use by students. This beautiful space is packed with all new fitness equipment and will be available to all students to use during their off mods throughout the day. We are also excited to announce the hiring of Mr. Sean Doyle, who will oversee the fitness center in his new role as Fitness & Performance Coordinator.”
Mr. Doyle is a Strength and Conditioning Coach who has his masters in Applied Health Physiology from Salisbury University. He also has years of experience working as a professional trainer and sports performance coach.
He said he is looking forward to “being a part of this community and being able to see and help my favorite demographic to work as a Strength and Conditioning Coach.”
However, Mr. Doyle is not new to the JC community. He is also the husband of Religion Teacher Meghan Doyle. He said, “working with my wife Mrs. Meghan Doyle is great, too. We are able to have lunch together, and it’s just nice to be able to see her throughout the day. It’s kind of like a fun little surprise when we see each other in the halls.”
Mr. Doyle believes that high school years are some of the “most formative years for individuals.” That’s why he wants to be able to “help guide students/athletes through those years and really challenge them to grow, develop, and mature into the best versions of themselves.” This is something he finds “very rewarding” about his work.
He wants every student to know that the new Fitness Center “is a place for everyone.”
He said, “Athletes are not the only population who can reap the benefits of utilizing this Fitness Center and all it has to offer. As I always say, strength doesn’t care how old you are, what gender you are, or what race you are, it’s a skill that everyone can use, and everyone needs.”
In order to utilize the Brown Fitness Center, students will need to book themselves through an online scheduling system. This app is through the students Microsoft Office 365 account and will act as the main calendar that the students will use to see available times for the Brown Fitness Center.
Mr. Doyle believes “the physical health of our student body is critical.”
He said, “God gave us one body, and He made that body to be able to do amazing things. When we are in better physical health, our risk for infection and sickness goes down, or confidence goes up, our performance goes up, and we project that onto other people. There’s a lot of research out there that shows when we improve our physical health, we also improve our mental, emotional, and educational performance as well.”
“I would encourage all to come to the Fitness Center to see how I and this room can help them to improve their quality of life,” said the new Fitness & Performance Coordinator, Mr. Doyle.