JC opens its doors to the community

Festival of Lights

Allison Coyne, Managing Editor

With the return of the annual door decorating contest last year, John Carroll created an event to open its doors to the public. The first annual Festival of Lights took place this past Saturday on December 10 from 5 to 8 pm.

The event was created “because the door decorating contest is such a big hit. A year ago, we opened it up to faculty and staff and their children to come in, and they loved it. We wanted to make it even bigger so that we could give back to the whole community outside the walls of John Carroll,” said Festival of Lights Coordinator Jake Hollin.

The event had multiple sections that were led by or designed by JC clubs, along with the hallways being open for visitors to walk through.

Members of the SGA and NHS helped to welcome guests and to direct them to various locations in the school.

Inside the Upper Gym, both adults and children could ride on a functional train, spin a wheel for a prize, and color.

Some members of the chorus welcomed guests into the building with carols. Inside the chapel, Belle Voce performed “God Rest Ye Merry Gentleman,” “White Christmas,” “Go Tell It,” and “Mary, Did You Know.”

“It was a nice way to bring the community together with our music,” said junior Somaya Morgan.

The cafeteria was transformed into an Elves Workshop where children could make arts and crafts, such as an ornament and a nativity scene. The College Preparatory Dance Program helped children work on the crafts.

Junior Rachel Saacks said, “My favorite part was seeing everyone’s face light up once they saw a craft.”

Santa’s North Pole was located in the Learning Commons. The room was filled with candy canes, gumdrops, and gingerbread people. Here, visitors could meet Santa and see the train garden.

The Architecture, Engineering, and Design Club built two student-designed buildings for the Candyland.

One of the buildings, the ski chalet, was designed by freshman Evelyn Woosley. She said, “My inspiration for the house was my sister. She sent me a bunch of inspirational pictures, and when I saw a cute cottage, I knew it was the house I wanted to build.”

Mrs. Lisa Collins, moderator of the Architecture, Engineering, and Design Club, said her favorite part of the process was “seeing the excitement that the students had when their designs were picked and working with all the students to make it come to life.”

Along with the Candyland, the Learning Commons was filled with trees, each decorated by separate JC club or sports team. Some of these clubs included Finance Club, One Love, Future Healthcare Workers of America, and Science Olympiad.

Junior Tatiana Wilkins, President of the Black Student Union, said, “We decorated our tree in a way to represent the black student body of John Carroll. Club members came together to create flags and ornaments to represent our cultural backgrounds and important black figures.”
Outside in the courtyard, Peer Ministry created a Living Nativity scene.

Junior Drew Kelly joined as Joseph “because we need to teach our younger generations about the true meaning of Christmas and how it came to be.”

Sophomore Lillian Walker said her favorite part of the event was “seeing all the different trees.”
“I love seeing so many members of the community coming onto John Carroll’s campus and letting us shine our light,” said English teacher Sherri Woosley.

Another major attraction in the Learning Commons was Santa himself where children (and adults) could visit, get their pictures taken, and then get a candy cane.

Planning has already begun for the 2023 event.