• :

Canter awarded title for 2022-2023 school year

Educator of the Year
During an extended advisory on Thursday, May 11, it was announced to the John Carroll community that World Language Teacher Mark Canter was selected as Educator of the Year for the 2022-2023 school year.
To celebrate this achievement and to recognize the teachers who are retiring this year, the extended advisory was held in the Upper Gym with all classes, faculty, and staff.
Senior Sam Dlugokenski began her introduction of Mr. Canter as she said, “Our 2023 Educator of the Year is a John Carroll alum. He has now taught at John Carroll for seven years, and he has had an immense impact on the community here.”
When Mr. Canter received the award, he gave a speech in which he offered the three things that he has learned over the years. He said,“You are not alone. If you are hurting, if you are sad, if you are lonely, you are not alone . . . There is no such thing as tomorrow. If you want to do something, start today.”
He added, “If you look around and are worried about the state of the world, the only way to get out of it is through love.”
Mr. Canter concluded his speech with one final thought, “I love this place, I love you guys, and I love what I do.”
John Carroll expressed their appreciation for all that Mr. Canter has done with a round of applause for his hard work and determination.
Mr. Canter commented, “Honestly, I felt very gratified. I know that John Carroll is a small space in comparison to the wider world, but to know that there was something positive coming out of what I do every day did feel really good.”
Teaching at the school for seven years, Mr. Canter has developed a deep connection to the school and its students. “I only hope I can mean half as much to the students as they mean to me.”
He feels lucky to have the opportunity to get to know the students and community. “I get to see how my students grow over the years as students, as people, and as Patriots. I’m so grateful for the very unique position I’m in to be able to see how far my kids come from freshmen to juniors or seniors.”
Over the years, Mr. Canter has made many memories at John Carroll. However, his favorite is “the first time I walked into my classroom — the same room in which I took German as a student. I can’t pin down the exact feeling, but the mix of nostalgia, nervousness, excitement…it was a strange and impactful thing.”
As a John Carroll alumnus, teacher, and Patriot, Mr. Canter has had many JC experiences and has received many awards and accolades. However, to him, the Educator of the Year Award has been the most meaningful.
He commented, “It is by far the most professionally meaningful thing I’ve ever experienced. The diplomas are nice, or certifications or this or that, but to be told by the people around whom I’ve built my career that I’m doing something right? That’s about as meaningful as it can get.”
Mr. Canter offered some concluding thoughts for the John Carroll community. He said, “Lift each other up; be grateful for what we have, and stick together as people and Patriots.”