• :

Incoming storm closes John Carroll three hours early

Students have abbreviated classes before 11:45 am release on Tuesday, January 9

Students, faculty, and staff were released three hours early on January 9 due to inclement weather.

John Carroll follows Harford County Public Schools delays and closings, so the news was announced at the conclusion of the school day on January 8. 

HCPS had made the early dismissal announcement before school ended on January 8 “due to the forecasted high impact storm.”  The National Weather Service placed the Harford County area on a High Wind Warning as well as a Coastal Flood Warning.

Assistant Principal Jake Hollin commented, “I feel okay with [the early dismissal] for the safety of students and staff. The most challenging part was creating a schedule as we still wanted everyone to see all their teachers for contact instruction time.” 

However, many students were thrilled with it for other reasons. Senior Brooke Hoskins said, “I like early dismissals because classes are shorter, and I have more free time in the afternoon.” 

Sophomore Madison Cignatta remarked that she likes to “sleep more in the afternoon.” 

As many different weather informative platforms called for snow for the far western Maryland area, central Maryland was seeing rain as John Carroll dismissed.  Winds were projected to increase later in the afternoon.

Although this was not the winter weather expected for this time of the year, senior Laura DeJesus-Acousta said, “I feel prepared for the snow because we truly haven’t had snow in such a long time. I’ve been wanting to enjoy a snow day for a while now.”

For this particular early dismissal, Laura said, “I will probably go out to eat with my friends” while other students said that they looked forward to sleeping or binge-watching shows on Netflix. 

Administrative staff will send updates via email, the Remind app, and social media if there are any delays regarding future schedules. 

Update: The John Carroll School announced that it will open two-hours late tomorrow, January 10.  On its website, Harford County Schools added, “Any necessary re-evaluation will be made by 6:30 a.m. tomorrow morning.”

Update #2 (7:00 am on 1/10/2024): The John Carroll School will be closed today.

Stay safe, Patriots!