• :

Class celebrates 100-day mark to graduation with lunch

The countdown to graduation officially hit 100 days on February 16, meaning the Class of 2024 will soon join the John Carroll alumni community.
On this day, seniors enjoyed a special pizza lunch together to celebrate 100 days until graduation.
Director of Parent and Alumni Engagement Rachel DeWeese said, “The Advancement Office wanted to offer a special lunch for seniors only for their 100-day countdown and also discuss the meaning of the Senior Family Gift, as well as what it means to be an alum and support the school after graduating.”
Mrs. DeWeese explained that throughout their four years at JC, seniors have been raising money for their individual class through things such as ticket sales and many other small fundraisers. This Senior Family Gift gives seniors and their families an opportunity to make a “last” gift to the school before graduation.
Funds for the gift are mostly raised online. Another way money was raised was through the Dunkin’ Cruiser. Students of all grades could participate in the fundraiser, and if they paid $3 or $5, they received a mini flavored iced coffee or mini-refresher and donut.
“Participation is really the most important aspect of the Senior Family Gift — not the amount raised,” said Mrs. DeWeese.
The 100 Days Lunch was created to honor the seniors as they countdown to graduation and become part of the alumni community.
Senior Connie Fritz said, “It was nice to come together and get a nice lunch.”
Students were served pizza, salad, and cookies, and some students brought their own lunches as well. Tables had 100 Day pins and stickers, and during the lunch there was a ticket raffle for Wawa gift cards.
“I can’t believe we were 100 days away from graduation,” said senior Katherine McMahon.
The lunch was another way of giving seniors an opportunity to support the class gift.
“As an alumna myself, I have always felt that John Carroll is my place. I want every graduating student and alum to feel that way, too – that this is now and forever will be their place. Throughout the ups and downs of high school, these teachers, coaches, and staff members helped them navigate the complications of teenage life,” commented Mrs. DeWeese.
“As alumni and soon-to-be-alumni, we are tremendously lucky to have John Carroll, a place we should all be proud of and a place we will support throughout the rest of our lives,” added Mrs. DeWeese.