• :

Patriot actors take the stage for production of ‘Guys and Dolls’

Last weekend, 50 Patriots came together as part of the cast, crew, and pit to perform the musical ‘Guys and Dolls.’
The show ran for three days with performances at 7 p.m. on Friday, March 22, at 2 p.m. and 7 p.m. on Saturday, March 23, and a final matinee at 2 p.m. on Sunday, March 24.
Guys and Dolls is a Broadway show about a gambler in 1950s New York City. The characters place bets that lead to an unexpected love connection between a gambler and a missionary.
Show Director Larry Hensley said, “One of Broadway’s most hilarious shows, Guys and Dolls, has been described as the perfect musical comedy.  There is lots of fun and laughter for the audience.”
Musical Director Julie Parrish said, “When we were making our choices about the shows, we decided on Guys and Dolls because it’s a classic. It’s a lot of fun. It’s something that the school has done before, but it has been many years. It was time to bring it back.”
Mrs. Parrish was most excited about performing the show itself. She directed the pit which made her even more involved in the performances.
When casting a show, “it is all about putting together the puzzle. It is how the people who show up best fit as each puzzle piece to make the puzzle complete,” said Mrs. Parrish.
She added, “Casting a show is probably the hardest thing to do because auditioning is such a personal thing. As a director, when you have to make casting decisions, it is hard to take the human element out of it.”
Sophomore Izzie Parrish, who played Sarah Brown, explained, “She is a reserved and strong-willed individual who runs a Christian Mission, but she finds herself conflicted after falling in love with a gambler. It’s a battle between the head and the heart.”
Sophomore Jonah Wade played Sky Masterson. Through this role, “I have learned that people are not always what they appear to be. It took me a little while to find and understand the vulnerable side of my character because he rarely shows it, which teaches me the life lesson that many people may be different inside from their outward appearance and not to judge a book by its cover,” Jonah said.
Jonah’s favorite part of Guys and Dolls is “the community we form in the theatre. Everyone there feels like family, and I really look forward to seeing all of my friends at every rehearsal. Even when the show gets stressful, we have that sense of community that pulls us through.”
Senior Mitchell Gier played Nathan Detroit. Nathan is “the head of a floating dice game. Through many ups and downs, he realizes the importance of being honest and doing what is right,” he said.
This is Mitchell’s final production at JC. “This play taught me techniques to study lines and improvise when things don’t go according to plan.”
Senior Ginger Roarty played Adelaide, Nathan’s love interest and fiancé of 14 years. Adelaide is a comedic character who works at a nightclub called The Hot Box.
Ginger’s favorite part of playing Adelaide is “getting the opportunity to dance with some of my best friends and expand my acting skills.”
“Being in any show develops a sense of teamwork, and certainly a sense of accomplishment, from putting in the many, many hours of rehearsal to getting to see a final product,” said Mrs. Parrish.