• :

Seniors remember the horrors of the Holocaust

For 30 years, John Carroll seniors have participated in the well-known tradition of Holocaust remembrance.
The purpose of Holocaust Remembrance Day (HRD) is to educate students about the horrific acts the Nazis brought onto Jews.
“It’s not pretty; it’s ugly; it’s evil and represents the worst human beings can be,” Academics Project Manager Louise Géczy commented.
Mrs. Géczy expanded the already existing program into what it is today. “This is my 22nd year at JC, and I have been bringing speakers to share testimonies for all that time.”
The program, a day-long event, took place on March 5 and involved various testimonies from survivors and second and third generation speakers. 17 individuals were in attendance this year.
“In a world where divisiveness and othering has become common, I think the more information we provide our young people about the lessons of the Holocaust, the greater the chance they will commit to make positive change throughout their lifetime,” Mrs. Géczy said.
Assistant Principal Jake Hollin opened the program with a message about how crucial it is to bring light to such a dark history. He said that the first-hand testimonies are essential for seniors to continue listening to these stories and having those difficult conversations.
The keynote speaker of the day, Dr. Charles Heller, told the story of his family going into hiding and eventually going to court to tell deadly lies in order to avoid being sent to the concentration camps.
Although raised Catholic, Dr. Heller was categorized as a Jewish man, due to the Nuremberg Race Law. This law states that if an individual has three or more family members of Jewish bloodline, then their descendants are also Jewish. “[This event] is important to keep the legacy alive,” Dr. Heller said.
Senior Ben Shutt was one of Dr. Heller’s student guides for the duration of the day. He said that Dr. Heller had such a rare experience.
“We learn about so many things in a classroom that it all blends together, but hearing from someone who actually went through it makes it even more of a present issue,” Ben said.
Student guides were able to spend time in the Learning Commons with each of the speakers, offering a truly rare experience.
“My favorite part of the day was when all of the student guides got to eat with the speakers in the Learning Commons,” senior Emma Gottschalk commented. “Not only did speaking with them allow me to learn more about their lives, but seeing their reactions when presented with their thank you gifts was a memory I will never forget.”
After lunch, JC President Steve DiBiagio gave a presentation about his father who was a liberator of a concentration camp. One of the speaker’s fathers was actually liberated by Mr. DiBiagio’s father, and both shared an emotional hug as well as stories.
English Chairman Matthew Blair and College Counselor Darrion Siler read a passage from Simon Wiesenthal’s The Sunflower. Seniors were asked to be put in the unfathomable position of a Jewish man. In the text, a dying Nazi soldier is asking for forgiveness from the Jewish man.
Four of English Teacher Allison Hall’s students, Cole Cernik, Wyatt Leach, Buddy Moore, and Julia Ward, shared arguments as to whether or not the soldier should be forgiven.
The day concluded with the showing of a reunion video which was shown to end the day on a happier note than the start.
While each senior takes something different out of the program, Mrs. Gézcy’s hope is that the seniors grow and learn more about themselves.
“As a whole, the Class of 2024 was willing to engage in HRD, and I am proud of them for connecting with the life lessons that the Holocaust offers all of us.”
Senior Class Vice President Chris Artz said, “It was very informative and very good. It was an event I will never forget.”