• :

Visiting the happiest places on Earth

The floor vibrates from the constant tapping of students’ feet, while their eyes are strained from watching the clock.  They can already feel the warmth of the sun and the rough feeling of sand beneath their toes. 

It’s June 11th, and all students can think about is how they are going to spend their summer vacation.  It looks like it will be two and a half months of nonstop fun in the sun or two and a half months months of lying on a couch and aimlessly flipping through channels.

If doing this doesn’t sound appealing to you, then check out some of these top spots for 2010. 

Orlando, Florida. 

This is what people like to call “the family vacation.”  The reason for this is because it contains Disney World, Universal Studios, Sea World, and other attractions the whole family will enjoy.  Kids of all ages will enjoy these parks, and parents can relax at the tropical beaches and multiple golf courses.  Sophomore Lauren Barretto said, “It is a good city to go vacationing in.  My whole family had fun.”  From BWI airport to the Orlando airport the flight is 2 hours long, and it is about a 15 hour drive.  A travel tip is if going to Florida over the summer go in June, or stay close to a water park.  The temperatures in the summer range from high 90s during the day to high 70s or low 80s at night.

Hawaii. 

Compared to Orlando, Hawaii is a much more relaxing vacation.  Hawaii has sunny and warm weather all year round.  April and November, is warmer and drier and the average temperature is 75˚-88˚ F. Between December and March, it is a bit cooler and the average temperature is 68˚-80˚ F.  Hawaii has beautiful beaches with good surf and scenery.  It is a great place to swim, tan, surf, fish, golf, and explore around a tropical paradise.  From BWI airport there is a direct flight to Maui, Kauai, and Hawaii’s Big Island, but to get to some of the smaller islands, such as Lanai and Molokai, you need to connect from Oahu airport.  A travel tip is to rent a car.  Reserve your rental vehicles in advance because quantities can be limited on some islands.  Bus tours, shuttles, and taxis are also available to explore the Islands. 

New York City, aka “the Big Apple”. 

The name doesn’t lie.  New York City is the biggest metropolitan center in the U.S.    It includes famous tourist attractions such as the Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building, United Nations, museums, Broadway theaters, Times Square, Central Park, and tons and tons of shops.  In order to go to the top of the Empire State Building you have to pay $18.45 per person, and the ferry to the Statue of Liberty costs $12.00 per person.  New York also includes some of the most famous shops in the U.S. such as Barneys, Bloomingdales, and FAO Schwarz.  Ever hear the saying New York is the city that never sleeps? Well, it’s called that for a reason, because there is always something going on.  New York City is just a three hour car ride from Maryland.  A travel tip is to take a train.  It will save you at least a half hour on your trip and there are plenty of taxis in New York to go around.

One additional travel tip is when planning a summer vacation plan ahead.  Pick out what you have to do while you’re there so you aren’t scrambling around trying to see everything.  Also visit online sites and try to find cheaper deals, recommended places to see, and good restaurants to visit.  No matter where you go, there’s a possibility for fun in the sun.

Amanda Graziano can be reached for [email protected]