• :

‘The Script’ releases album tuned for the brokenhearted

The Script releases album tuned for the brokenhearted

The Script’s recently released album “Science & Faith” didn’t impress me with the group’s constant whining, although I would recommend it to the recently broken-hearted.

The first song “You Won’t Feel a Thing” starts the album off well. The song is upbeat and has a good message of helping those around you. The chorus, “Cause I will take it on the chin/Eh, for you/So lay your cuts and bruises over my skin” illustrates the group’s prominent Christian values and non-violent tendencies. Note sarcasm.

“For the First Time” is the first single off of the album, and it doesn’t disappoint. It has a nice flow of words paired with an easygoing beat.

By the time I listened to the next song, “Nothing,” I realized this album has a clear theme: the Script loves to talk about drinking and being under the influence, which makes me wonder what their personal lives are like.

However, “Nothing” is a decent song. It questions the love that a person experiences. The song asks personal questions like, “Am I better off dead?/Am I better off a quitter?”

The next song, “Science and Faith” took its name from the album title. It tries to explain love through science, which is obviously not going to happen, and then accepts love with faith. Personally, I love this song. How often do humans want proof of something before accepting it? But, in this circumstance, he just accepts it.

“If You Ever Come Back” is not anywhere close to making my list of good songs. It has a good beat, but that’s where the compliments end. The whiny song is about someone infatuated with another person. Instead of waiting for them to return, they should just get on with their life.

The title for the next song is “Long Gone and Moved On.” This song doesn’t get much better than the previous ones. It continues on with the whining. It tells how they don’t know what to do or how to feel. Lame.

“Deadman Walking” still continues on with the whining. It makes this album seem more like an ‘I just recently broke up with my girlfriend’ album than anything else.

Luckily, the album gets better with, “This is Love.” The song has a fast beat, and the lyrics leave it to the listeners’ imaginations, making them reflect on their own lives.

My favorite lines are part of the bridge, which surprisingly is in rap style. “If you could be anywhere that you wanted to be/With anyone that you wanted to be with/Do anything that you wanted to do/What would it be and who would be with you?” It inspires a true life reflection.

Another surprise comes with “Walk Away” which features artist B.o.B. The song is more a piece of advice than anything else, telling listeners to walk away from heartache, and it makes perfect sense with the logic in the lyrics, “I don’t know why she’s with me/I only brought her trouble since the day she met me.”

“Science & Faith” has too much whining for my taste, but who knows? This whining may be the perfect prescription for a recent heartache.

Gabby Joseph is a Copy Editor for “The Patriot” and jcpatriot.com