• :

News flashes: Christmas concert, Christmas bazaar, Japanese students visit

Christmas concert spreads holiday cheer

The chorus, orchestra, band, and jazz band will perform the Christmas Concert on Friday, Dec. 7 from 7:00 to 9:00 p.m. in the auditorium.

The orchestra and chorus will each be performing three songs. In addition, the jazz band and band will each be playing five. There will be two pieces with all the ensembles collaborating.

Some examples of songs that will be performed during the concert are “Carol of the Bells” played by the band, two pieces from the movie “Polar Express” played by the jazz band, “A Mad Russian’s Christmas” played by the orchestra, and “Oh Silent Night” sung in German by the chorus.

“My goal is to give students different styles of music to try and to get the audience into the Christmas spirit,” Music Director Marc Bolden said.

Caitlin Wolfarth is a News Editor for the Patriot and jcpatriot.com.

Equestrian team hosts Christmas Bazaar

The equestrian team will host their annual Christmas Bazaar on Dec. 1 from 12:00 to 5:00 p.m. in the upper gym.

The Christmas Bazaar is a fundraiser the equestrian team hosts every year, for the past four years.

At the bazaar, there will be various craft, artist, and retail vendors. According to Louise Doherty, “each vendor has an 8’x 10′ space to sell their items and promote their products.” Items these vendors sell include gifts, handcrafted jewelry, and fine art pieces.

“We host 50 artists, craft, and retail vendors in the gym all selling their products just in time for Christmas,” Doherty said.

Fraser fir Christmas trees, pine roping, wreaths, and poinsettias are also being sold at the bazaar. “We also provide a catered lunch in the cafeteria and have a raffle of assorted gift items,” Doherty said.

All the money raised will pay for competition entry fees throughout the year for the equestrian team.

Haley Kyger is a Sports Editor for the Patriot and jcpatriot.com.

Japanese students experience JC studies

115 male Japanese students will arrive on Dec. 10 at JC “to experience a college preparatory high school in the United States,” according to President Richard O’Hara.

The students are from LaSalle Catholic High School in Hakodate, Japan and will be staying for a week with different host families.

During their visit, they will be studying at JC. On Dec. 12, they are taking a field trip to Washington, D.C.

O’Hara aspires to have many of these students return to attend JC.

“Some may be interested in attending JC in the future, but we don’t know that at this point,” O’Hara said.

Sydney Setree is a Managing Editor for the Patriot and jcpatriot.com.