• :

Healthy You: Seaweed, sushi diet satisfies

As I look through my pantry, I am faced with a major dilemma: organic raisins or roasted seaweed. Though both of these choices are tasty, they are not a part of my normal diet.  They’re some of the things I can eat on my macrobiotic diet.

I heard about the macrobiotic diet from a friend and, after some research, found that it is a well-known diet due to celebrities like Madonna and Gwyneth Paltrow.

Similar to a vegan diet, meats, sugar, dairy, and eggs should be avoided, while fruits, vegetables, fish, grains, nuts and seeds are all okay to eat.

I was on the diet for about a week and already started to feel healthier. While I missed eating things like chicken, yogurt, and chocolate, I was able to eat other things I like, such as Nature Valley Bars, raspberries, and blackberries.

My diet consisted of fish, whole wheat pasta, sushi, roasted seaweed, fruit, and grains. Though things like roasted seaweed may sound unappetizing, they are actually delicious. The seaweed had a natural sea salt taste and tasted like it had just been roasted, nothing like what you would have expected from packaged seaweed.

However, it was pretty hard for me to stop eating fattening foods. When I wanted chocolate or other sugary sweets, I would instead eat fruit or some seaweed to curb my cravings.

Although the diet was hard for me, I did feel healthier than I did when putting fattier foods into my body. The best part of the macrobiotic diet is that it really makes you think about what you are putting in your body, instead of simply eating.

Even though I am not following the diet anymore, I still think more about what I am eating. This new awareness pushes me to eat healthier meals and snacks.

The macrobiotic diet does, however, have some drawbacks. Because there are so many things excluded from your diet, it isn’t always the best option for young children or those who are sick.

Though this diet is healthy, it is not for everyone. If you plan to try the macrobiotic diet, talk to your doctor first to make sure it is right for you.

Ashley Beyer is a Lifestyles Editor for The Patriot and jcpatriot.com.