Women’s cross country

November 19, 2015

Adapting to challenging circumstances has been the story for the women’s cross country team this season. With two of the top runners for coach Robert Torres’s team going down due to injury, it became difficult to mask the loss that was left on the team.

Seniors Ellie Marindin and Holly Driver who were previously top runners on the team, both dealt with injuries this past season.

Marindin tore the three tendons that run down the calf, as well as the lisfranc ligament, and chipped the outer ankle bone in her ankle.

The injury occurred while practicing her main sport, lacrosse, and it caused her to miss the entire cross country season. She is committed to Winthrop University for lacrosse, and according to her, “getting healthy for lacrosse” is her main focus.

Driver had surgery in May of last year for bunions on both feet, and has since been recovering. She wasn’t at full strength and couldn’t compete at her normal level this past season.

“Had we had a completely healthy team, I feel we could’ve won championships. However, in our absence, runners such as junior Adria Pirozzi and sophomore Rosemary Gillam stepped up and will only get better for next season,” Driver said.

In the championship, the team ended up finishing in fifth place out eight conference teams, and fifth out of 25 teams overall. The team ended up with an overall league record of 3-4.

“We had some runners come up to varsity and they, along with our top runners, are doing well this season,” Torres said.

Struggling is not something the team is used to. Senior Faith Ensor, along with Driver and Marindin, were a part of the IAAM A conference championship team in 2013, and know what it takes to be successful.

“Considering we lost two of our top girls to injury, I’m proud of how we’ve done overall,” Torres said.

Other runners had to step up this year and try and make up for the lack of experience lost from Marindin and Driver.

“It could’ve been a lot different if we had our key runners. We did great with the talent we had, and I am thankful for everything I have experienced on cross country in my three years. I’m glad to have been part of such a kind and hardworking community of athletes,” Ensor said.

Mike Moxley is a Sports Editor for The Patriot and jcpatriot.com.