Mitch Hopkins

Swimmers step onto the block, about to dive into the water. The men’s swimming team failed to win a meet this season.

Men’s swimming

This year’s swimming season was not ideal, as the team did not win a single meet.

The season was one of both negatives and positives. According to head coach Larry Dukes, one of the big negatives was the lack of commitment to swim and train in practice. “Our team was made up of a lot of athletes who participated in other sports [in the same season]. We also had some of the students who are more active academically,” Dukes said.

However, as the season went along, the team made improvements. “At the start of the year the team didn’t show up for practice, but towards the end of the year people started to show up and performed well at meets,” senior Rob Flynn said.

Dukes said that championships, held on Feb. 10 at Calvert Hall, were the highlight of the year, and that the swimmers swam their best times of the season.

Another positive takeaway from the season was the team bonding time in the sauna after practice. “We would share stories with each other, and it was a main cog in our improvement [as a team],” Flynn said.

Despite their record, Dukes believes the future is bright because of the team’s talented freshmen. “Jack Levy and Alexander Kirkland give us a lot of promise for the future,” Dukes said.

In the end, the swimmers on the team still enjoyed the season, even in the face of tough results. “We were very understaffed but we did what we could with the men we had,” senior captain Adam Mroweic said.

Daniel Robinson is a Copy Editor for The Patriot and jcpatriot.com.  

The Patriot • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in