Alyssa Kraus

Junior varsity baseball players Luke Zagurski and Zack Reed lean against the fence with their teammates in anticipation of the next pitch at Ripken Stadium on Friday, April 21. The baseball team completed their season with a 14-14 record and made it to the playoffs.

Baseball team improves record

This year, the baseball team ended their season with a 14-14 record, making it to the playoffs. This is an improvement from their season last year, which ended with a 9-15 record.

Because they suffered the loss of one of their own players, Josh Hamer, in a car accident early in the season, the baseball team formed a close connection and worked even harder. “We worked together well as a team and came together after Josh’s death and turned that into ‘a play for Hamer’ and turned a bad season last year into a good season this year,” junior pitcher Ryan Archibald said.

“I think we really really worked well as a team. There were some moments in the year that we were challenged, but I think, as a whole, we truly gelled, and considering everything that we have gone through this year, the young men have each other’s backs. I couldn’t be more proud,” baseball head coach Darrion Siler said.

During the season, the baseball team had several key games that showcased their success. “One of our best games was in Georgia when we played against two D1 pitchers,” Siler said. “We executed our plays well and the timing was really important because it was after Josh’s death. It important game because it gave us confidence, poise, and an idea of what our season would look like.”

Due to the improvement of this season, both Archibald and Siler have high hopes for the season next year. Archibald would like to see the team “make the championships next year because we have the talent to get there.”

Taylor Bynion is a Copy Editor for The Patriot and jcpatriot.com.

The Patriot • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in