Caitlin Kennedy

Senior center forward Sammi Edwards fights for the ball against a Mount de Sales player with left wing Kendall Rittmeyer following behind. Monday, Oct. 30 marked the end of the field hockey season with a 2-0 IAAM quarterfinal loss to Mount de Sales.

Field Hockey

The field hockey team finished finished with an overall record of 7-8-1 this season. Although the team had won the IAAM B Conference championship the past three years, they lost the quarterfinal game to Mount de Sales on Mon. Oct. 30.

Although the team didn’t win, varsity coach Alice Puckett, class of ‘77, said, “I’m still proud of our season.” She also recognized senior midfielder Ashlee Kothenbeutel as the season MVP. “She was our leader and kind of our energizer bunny. She was all over the field and just has a lot of speed and determination. She has that never give up kind of attitude,” Puckett said.

According to sophomore goalie Alexis Loder, although the team lost in the quarterfinals, they had a strong season. “We all really came together. There was a good mix of year levels, and we kept close the whole time,” she said.

While Puckett agrees that the team is strong, she also believes there is room for improvement. “The team’s strengths were that when we practiced hard and played hard, there was a lot of success. But when they didn’t put as much into it, they weren’t at our best and didn’t have as much success. When the games were close, they put a lot of heart into it,” she said.

Though this year’s season is over, Puckett looks forward to next fall. “There were six sophomores on varsity that had a good amount of playing time. So I expect those players to give us a stronger foundation,” she said. “We’re looking forward to the season next year.”

Loder expects next year to be a strong season as well. “A lot of girls do winter workouts and play in club teams, and we all take part in summer practices, so I expect it to go well. We also have a lot of starters coming back, so that’ll strengthen the team,” she said.

Caitlin Kennedy is an Entertainment Editor for The Patriot and jcpatriot.com.

The Patriot • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in