• June 1Kishan Patel and Katie Sullivan announced as the Black and Gold Award winners

• May 25Tim Perry announced as the Educator of the Year

• May 25President Richard O'Hara will be the interim principal for 2016-2017 school year

Filed under Perspectives

Prom sparks irritability in underclassmen

Advertisement - SNO Ad Network

There is one word I can’t walk through the school at mod changes without hearing: prom. I could tell you who is taking who, where they’re going before prom, and what they’re wearing— and I’m not even going. I know it is an exciting time for the seniors and I’m happy for them, but I’m ready for it to happen already.

Prom is an exciting and memorable high school event, and for goodness sakes, it is at the National Aquarium, so who wouldn’t be excited? Who doesn’t want to slow dance with the sharks and do the Macarena with the manta rays?

But you have to get bored with talking about it at some point. You already know what everyone’s wearing—there’s a Facebook group with all of your dresses. Because everyone knows a volcano in Iceland might erupt and the world may end if two girls have the same dress at their senior prom.

The night is like something out of a fairy tale. Girls can dress up like Cinderella, and it’s probably their last excuse to get an up-do and acrylic nails until their wedding. Even the guys get to look like Prince Charming.

But don’t get me wrong— I’m excited to stalk their pictures on Facebook. My Sunday will be devoted to going through every album, titled “Prom ’10,” “PROMMMM,” and even “PROMMEGDON 2010,” I may even go through the multiple “sen10rs” albums to see if anything new has been added.

So have a great time seniors. It’s a night to remember, but please, for the sake of all of us non-seniors, just have prom already.

Allison Walczyk can be reached for comment at [email protected]