• :

Heading to the Beach? Three beach reads will keep your reading list full this summer

While everyone may have their own definition of a “Beach Read,” there are a few simple requirements that must be met for the most enjoyable experience while reading at the beach.  A Beach Read must be relatively short, completely enthralling, and effortlessly fun. Here are recommendations that meet these qualifications.
Carrie Soto is Back by Taylor Jenkins Reid
Reid’s latest novel follows star tennis player Carrie Soto from her beginning to her decorated career as a pro. However, when her record of Grand Slam titles is about to be broken by youngster Nikki Chan, Carrie decides to return to the sport after years of retirement. Although Carrie faces many struggles and setbacks during her return to professional tennis, she has her father and coach Javier by her side. Their father-daughter relationship is complicated at times, but it accurately portrays the struggles of balancing family and sports. Reid’s novels are known for their captivating storylines and layered characters. Carrie Soto is Back does not disappoint fans of Reid, winning in the Best Historical Fiction category for Goodread’s Choice Awards in 2022.
Remarkably Bright Creatures by Shelby Van Pelt
Van Pelt’s first ever novel is extremely impressive. Widow Tova Sullivan is still seeking closure for the unexplained death of her son that occurred over 30 years ago. She spends her nights working as a janitor for an aquarium. During her shifts, she develops an unlikely relationship with a Pacific octopus named Marcellus. Tova and Marcellus help each other in various ways throughout the novel, learning and growing through each other. After its release in May 2022, the novel immediately received notable reviews from both fans and book critics. Jenna Bush Hager from The Today Show selected this novel for her “Read with Jenna” book club pick in May.
The Midnight Library by Matt Haig
Fans of magical realism will especially enjoy The Midnight Library. One night, ordinary Nora Seed is suddenly transported to a library with an endless amount of books. The librarian of the mysterious library, Nora’s old middle school librarian, explains to Nora that each book is a potential life that Nora could have lived. Nora is given the opportunity to spend time in many different lives, ultimately showing her just how much value her own life holds. Haig’s strong writing keeps the reader heavily invested in Nora’s complicated journey. The novel won many awards, among them being Goodread’s Choice Award for Best Fiction Novel of 2020.