• :

Pope Francis brings new hope for the Church

Following the election of Pope Francis, I wondered what the newly elected Pope would do to make a positive change in the Catholic Church. Fortunately, I did not have to continue wondering for very long.

He started out by asking people not to spend money on coming to his inauguration Mass but to instead give the money to the poor. It was in that moment that he began to show the world just a small glimpse of the changes he wanted to make. This was just the beginning.

Pope Francis has proved to be quite humble as he ditched the protective Pope Mobile to be able to interact with people.  He also ditched his luxurious papal apartment to live where cardinals stay during the conclave.

These simple changes of walking through the crowd instead of riding around in the Pope Mobile and living in a less luxurious home has given a new sense of hope to Catholics worldwide.

Pope Francis realizes that people connect more with a Pope who is more involved and understanding of the people.

There has been anecdotal evidence collected by many sources, including NBC news, that many lapsed Catholics have begun to go back to church due to Pope Francis’ influence.

All around the world, people have watched Pope Francis begin to change the Church after only one month of being Pope. The positive effect that he’s made on the Church in this short span of time only can reflect what he will be doing in the future.

Shannon Olsen is a Lifestyles Editor for The Patriot and jcpatriot.com.