• Open House will be held on Saturday, Oct. 28.

• The Theatre Program will perform "Grease: School Version" on Nov. 3, 4, and 5

Varsity field hockey aims for four-peat

On Nov. 6, 2016, the varsity field hockey team celebrates a championship win with a selfie. This year's championship is on Nov. 5 at Stevenson University, where the field hockey team may have an opportunity to win their fourth consecutive win.

Patriot File Photo

Patriot File Photo

The varsity field hockey team is attempting to win its fourth consecutive conference championship this fall, something only five JC sports teams have ever done. If the team keeps a good record, they may have the opportunity to win the championship on Nov. 5 at Stevenson University in Owings Mills.

The field hockey team trained throughout the offseason in hopes of duplicating their previous success. “We had practice twice a week, one the coach led and a captain’s practice, plus an optional hour of stick skills and strength building,” senior midfielder Ashlee Kothenbeutel said.

With the season approaching, the team has been “practicing almost four hours a day and on the weekends,” senior goalie Grace Hollin said. According to Hollin, the team is hungry to win the championship.

The team graduated five starters from last year and will depend on younger players to contribute. Sophomore midfielders Katelyn Patrick and Ryleigh Casserly are new to the team, and Kothenbeutel believes they will play a big role. Kothenbeutel does not see the youth in this year’s team as a problem. “There’s some potential, and I could see the season going well if everybody puts in the work,” she said.

Seniors Maddie Fraiji, Sammi Edwards, and Kathryn Hodges, as well as sophomore Ellie Bruggeman, are key returners to this year’s team, in addition to Kothenbeutel and Hollin. With the combination of new and returning players, Kothenbeutel believes this year’s team will be just as competitive as last year’s. “My hope for the team is to bounce back with even more than we had before,” Kothenbeutel said.

The chance to continue the streak of championships is not something the team is taking lightly. “We are taking this responsibility very seriously,” Hollin said. She is proud to have an opportunity to win a championship all four years of her high school career. The championship game and four-peating will be on the team’s mind all season. “Four is our sacred field hockey number,” Hollin said.

IAAM B Conference play starts on Thursday, Sept. 7 against the Institute of Notre Dame. The home opener is Monday, Sept. 11 against C. Milton Wright.

Chris Roberts is a Sports Editor for The Patriot and jcpatriot.com.