Bailey’s 2nd annual 5K brings out over 300 racers

Maddie Root, Editor-in-Chief

When JC student Bailey Bullock unexpectedly passed away in May of 2021, the JC community was devastated. However, 18 months after his passing, Bailey’s memory has been kept alive by runners across the county.

Bailey’s 2nd Annual Heart & Sole 5K Charity Run was held at JC the morning of September 19. Anyone was welcome to participate in the 5K: walkers, runners, and even dogs on leashes.
Volun-Teen, a youth non-profit organization focused on “growing up by giving back” hosted the event. Seniors Drew Evans, the founder and president of Volun-Teen, and Ryan Skandalis, the vice president of Volun-Teen, worked closely together to plan the race.

Ryan said, “Bailey’s 5K was an amazing event that not only kept Bailey’s memory alive, but it helped to support a great cause. It was amazing to see the community come together, especially members of JC’s Class of 2023, to create an awesome environment in the presence of the Bullock family. It was a memorable morning.”

Before the race, participants were led in a series of stretches by a sponsor of the race, GameChangers Fitness. When racers completed their warm-up, Bailey’s mother, Patrice Bullock, and members of Volun-Teen made a few remarks before the racers lined up to start the 5K.

JC students from all grade levels came out to show their support. Freshman Daisy Everett said, “I chose to run Bailey’s 5K to support his family, and the Class of ‘23 who would have graduated with him.”

Some JC sports teams chose to participate in the race as a team. Junior soccer player Maggie Maloney said, “It was really fun to come together as a team to support Bailey’s family and to honor his legacy.”

The race course went all throughout the JC campus. Volunteers stood at checkpoints to cheer the racers and to keep them on-course.

After all racers completed the 5K, they were able to enjoy bagels, fruit, and water. Shortly after, the members of Volun-Teen presented Bailey’s Heart & Soul Foundation with a check for $17,818, exceeding last year’s total of $10,525. Volun-Teen was able to donate this money from donations they received and race costs.

If interested in donating to Bailey’s Heart & Sole Foundation, please visit https://baileysheartandsoul.org. Their goal is to “bring awareness to sudden cardiac arrest” and “provide education and the necessary tools to respond to life-threatening cardiac medical emergencies.”